Chapter Two - All The Right Reasons

I

t was night when Mara next woke, opening her eyes to a window placed directly in front of her bed. Well, this was not her bed, but it was comfortable. It was big, very big with giant wooden pillars on each corner, aiding to hold up the dark green velvet draped around her - a canopy. Her bed at home had a canopy of green as well, but hers was a softer green, whimsy with flowers laced into the fabric. She missed waking to the simple beauty of them falling around her in a room far less extravagant.

The room she woke in now, like the council chamber she had waited in, was marvelous; too marvelous to be home. The many windows were covered in long draping sheets of velvet shining in the moonlight. The room was mostly greens, reds and golds. The walls held intricate designs that she could not quite make out in the dark. She could feel the plush pillows behind her head and back supporting her weary body. The bed itself was like a giant pillow, soft and welcoming. She touched the heavy comforter pulled up to her chest and was reminded of the soft, cool feel of flower petals satiny to the touch. Everywhere she looked, more rich colors and elaborate designs coated the scenery. Mara noticed a shadow darker than the rest, resting in a corner. Only when the shadow began to stir did she realize it was not a shadow at all, but another person.

"You have been sleeping for many hours. I thought it best to let you rest." It was Avaneese's warm voice swathed in motherly concern that fell to her ears. Of all the council members who could have been here waiting for her to awake, she was glad it was her, though on second thought she was not entirely sure any of the other members save perhaps Adomas would have actually come to wait.

"Yes. Thank you." She found herself unable to form more thought for words. Though she was grateful for the woman's concern, she was still hurt. She was still resentful. She did not know if she would ever be able to form entire thoughts or hold a conversation with these people again. If she would ever truly be okay. Ever truly be herself.

Avaneese could feel the pain Mara was harboring as if it were a thick fog, cold and sharp, almost solid, filling the room wave after wave. "I truly am sorry, you know. It was not my first choice, or my last. I want you to know that I will do everything in my power to find the perfect person. Loving and sweet. Someone who will cherish your child, treat it as their own. Of this I give my word."

"Thank you." She felt a bit silly saying this again, as if it were the only think she knew how to say. At the moment, it was the only thing she could bring herself to say, and just barely. She did not bother to try for anything better.

"Mara, I do not know what to say to console you. I am not certain there is anything at all capable of mending your heart now. I feel terrible. I know you must feel a million times worse and for that I am truly grieving. Know that you can tell me anything. That I am here for you always. I will do anything in my power to help you back from this place you are now set in. This hollow darkness you are lost within. All you have to do is ask."

Avaneese would do as she said, of that she was sure. She was a kind woman, chosen by the council who came before her to fulfill a duty to the Elemental Kingdoms as a whole - including everyone within them, sinners and saints alike. Her life too was taken from her, replaced by a life of decisions she did not always enjoy making.

Suddenly Mara felt sorry for her actions. She did not regret loving Adel, but perhaps she did not make the right choices. It was because of choices such as hers, from all of the kingdoms, that Avaneese was never to be an entirely happy person. A twinge of guilt coursed through her protruding belly for the woman who sat forgiving in front of her. Who fought for her mercy. Who sat at her bedside all these hours to be here at the moment she awoke to aid her in her recovery and assure her as best she could that everything would work out. Who promised to do all she could to help.