Angel Wings Prologue

Sienna Miller bit her lip as she carried the coffees over to her mum and her trainer, Gina Harrington. The sun reflected brightly off the white van parked by the arena, where her older sister Lauren was riding her horse DiCaprio. The big black gelding was finally ready to show, Gina had decided. The five year old Hanoverian X Thoroughbred had been quite a handful, but eventually with a lot of hard work and bruises, he had turned into a semi-well behaved horse. He never did anything to try and harm her deliberately, and was so brave at jumping. He would jump whatever you pointed him at. Unfortunately, this sometimes was quite unexpected! It was obvious that he was going to make a great event horse. Although his dressage sometimes let him down, as he didn't like being held back or anything fancy such as flying changes. Sienna handed her mum a coffee and sat down on the slightly damp grass to watch her sister. DiCaprio was prancing around as he trotted gaily into the ring. He carried his head proudly, arching his neck and occasionally tossing his silky black mane. Gina had urged Lauren to plait it, but she said it looked much nicer free. Sienna agreed. Lauren looked completely calm as she spurred the excited horse towards the first jump. He cleared it well, and changed his lead nicely to turn left to the next one. Lauren asked him to collect, and he did so obediently. He shortened his stride, ears still pricked towards the jump. But out of the blue came a bird flying through the arena. DiCaprio stopped dead, almost throwing Lauren to the ground. She landed on his neck but clung on, desperately trying to reseat herself. She was almost there until he suddenly reared back on his haunches, kicking out violently at the bird. Sienna screamed as Lauren slipped down from the saddle, then fell silent as DiCaprio went down with her.