Angel Wings Chapter 6: At A Liberty

Lauren unlatched the door to Sonador's stable, smiling to see that the little mare had gained a little weight. She gently slipped a head collar over her head and lead her calmly out the stable. Once out, she gave the horse a bit of distance to let her get used to being led more. The yard was quiet; it was 7am and the horses weren't being fed for another hour. The round pen was already open, and Lauren politely asked Sonador to move into it. She eyed it warily, then took a small step forward. The roof over it was daunting to a horse, obviously. But a few windows were open to make it seem more spacious and less trapping. Lauren asked again, very cautiously tugging at the lead rope. Sonador snorted and started backing up, shying away from the pressure. She reared up suddenly, yanking the lead rope out of Lauren's hands, then took off down the yard with the rope trailing behind her. Lauren made a point not to run after her, not wanting to scare her even more. Instead she just walked fast towards where the mare had stopped to graze at a fence. She slowly picked up the lead rope and oh so hesitantly started leading Sonador towards the round pen again. This time, she stepped straight in without a fuss. Lauren praised her happily, and stroked her smooth neck affectionately. She then closed the gate quietly and let Sonador off the rope. Last night, she'd been trying to find some bonding methods and had come across join up and Liberty Horsemanship. She had decided to try it after some deliberation. So she flapped the lead rope at Sonador and made herself as intimidating as possible. The chestnut spooked and set off at a high-stepping trot. Lauren made her keep going round the pen, then stopped her by standing in front of her. She looked the horse right in the eye, then walked off and stood in the middle facing away from her. After a minute or so, still nothing had happened. Lauren turned round to see Sonador still standing where she had been, alert and ears flickering round. Lauren sighed and sat down on the floor; this wasn't going to work, she thought. But just as she lost hope, Sonador took a small step towards her. Then another, and another, and then dropped her nose to the ground to investigate the area around Lauren, who was smiling now. She stood up and rubbed Sonador's neck as a reward. She started to walk round the round pen, and eventually the horse got the idea and started to follow her. Just then, Gina appeared at the gate. She was watching in wonder- this was amazing! She looked on in awe as Lauren sat down. After a moments thought, Sonador dropped to her knees and laid down.

'Lauren!' Gina called gently. Sonador suddenly leapt to her feet as quickly as she could, followed immediately by Lauren.

'Hi Gina!' She smiled sheepishly. 'I tried join-up. I think it may have worked...'

Gina laughed as Sonador walked over with her to the gate. Such a close bond within a day was practically unheard of. Was it possible that..? No! It couldn't be. And Lauren couldn't know either.