Angel Wings Chapter 1: Awake

Lauren blinked at the sharp light glaring at her through her eyelids. She could hardly move. Even rolling her head left to escape the light was a huge effort. She groaned and tried to lift her arm up to cover her eyes, but found that her arm was as heavy as lead. She tried her other arm, and the same feeling occurred. Frustrated and somewhat terrified, she called out,

"Mum!"

Her mum, Annabel, came running in.

"Lauren!" She cried, tears in her eyes."Baby, you're awake! Sienna! Sienna!"

Sienna rushed in a few seconds later, then started crying with joy once she saw her sisters open eyes.

"The doctors said you weren't going to wake up," sniffed Sienna. "I knew you would."

Lauren tried to remember why she was here. It must have been something bad. She racked her memory trying to find what it could have been. She had a distinctly blurry memory of trotting DiCaprio into a show jumping arena... She gasped as she remembered him rearing up, and everything slowly fading.

"Where's DiCaprio?" She sat up, then groaned and collapsed when she felt the pain rushing through her.

Sienna and Annabel looked at each other, as if they shared some secret they would rather not tell her. Then it dawned on her. No... No! He wasn't- she couldn't even bring herself to think the word. Sienna and Annabel could only watch as Lauren's world slowly fell apart in front of their eyes. She felt the tears flowing freely down her face, but nothing else. Inside she was numb. She knew the pain would come soon. And that pain was going to be worse than sitting up too fast. DiCaprio couldn't be gone. He was always so- so alive! There had to be a mistake. Maybe he was just really hurt- that was better than nothing. Even if they had to put him down, at least she would get to say goodbye. But she knew from the look on her sisters face that he really truly was galloping with the angels now. She hoped that wherever he was, he was having fun and not having to care about whether he saw the distance or not. She hoped that Lacey would look after him up there. She was glad he was happy- but what about her?