Year 1: a little furry companion

Amy's pov

I sat in our class as my stomach growled demanding food but I didn't eat breakfast. I was too worried about the letter my father would send after Draco opened his big mouth and complained about me being in Gryffindore. Suddenly Harry and run stumble into the class to out of breath and I can't help but laugh a bit.

The tabby cat sitting on Professor McGonagall's desk tilted its head curiously at the sight of them as Ron said "amazing, can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" He asked Harry as they both walked up to sit with me in the front row. Only for the cat to jump off the desk and turn into Professor McGonagall. The two boys are amazed. And screwed. Very very screwed.

"Your an idiot ron.." I muttered. "That was bloody brilliant." He said to our professor with a smile but she didn't seem to be amused by it. "Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Maybe if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocketwatch, maybe one of you would be on time." She asked. Harry actually seemed scared by the threat. "We got lost." Harry explained. She raised an eyebrow in response and I barely stopped myself from burying out laughing as I didn't want to be turned into a bug for being rude.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." She asked, giving me a glance and making me sit up straight. Harry and ron nodded and rushed to my side. That class was a blur. So we're the ones after it but weirdly I seemed to gain consciousness of where I was when we entered potions. The classroom wasn't any different but the teacher caught my attention. He had slick black hair that almost reached his shoulders and a state that made me extremely uncomfortable but it didn't make me hate him.

I slowly go into the class past him and sit in my seat which luckily is beside my brother. Fantastic. The students around me are chattering and sitting near steaming cauldrons. My brother stabs me in the side with his wand almost making me scream at him only for the door to slam open and the professor to come rushing in and everyone going silent.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class." He began as he strode up to the top of the class and turned to us very calmly. "As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few" he paused for a brief second as he glanced around the class and a bit longer at my brother, who smiled as prideful as he usually was. As soon as he looked at me I looked down at my notes and pretended to right. His face didn't change but his eyes lit up curiously as he continued. "who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." The professor stopped. Draco raises his eyebrows and I begin to take down what he's saying word for work do If he does look at me again I have an excuse for why I'm not looking at him. Harry does the same and it seems in the teachers eyes he isn't paying attention.

I can tell as he gives him a death glare and continued "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." Putting venom on his last 3 words, making Harry look confused and glance up. I gulped as I thought he was referring to me. He wouldn't give out to harry right? He's famous.. important even..

"Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity." The professor said as he strode over to him. Oh.. I was wrong. "Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" He asked. Harry shrugged and the girl from the train, I think her name is Hermione, shot her hand up. She was ignored. "You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" The professor asked again, still ignoring Hermione's hand.

"I don't know, Sir." Harry replied simply. "And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?" The professor asked. Harry replies the same answer. I practically saw the whites of our professors eyes. Could he see his damn brain? I've never seen someone role their eyes so hard. "Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" He asked. And then we begin the lesson, Draco did almost all the work to either outshine me or just look better.