chapter two

I already made it to the tracks and tripped over one of the rails. My hands and knees scrapping against the cold gravel. "Shit...hey  kid-you good?" a rough voice stammered behind me. I stand up and brush myself off before heading back down the tracks, his footsteps not far behind. I swivel around on my left foot and come face to face with the stranger. Hes not too tall, maybe just above average height, with a thin frame. His greying hair almost sparkled in the light sun. Hes probably in his late thirties-early fourties. He's dressed in a bleached, white tank top, a worn red flannel, and skinny jeans. I take a step back to avoid having to look up. "Yes. I'm fine. Can I help you?" I don't usually have an attitude, but the annoyance was clear in my voice. We stared for a bit. I notice he adjusted his shirt at least four times and was constantly combing his hair back. "I-just want to make sure-youre okay. You-had a good fall-and it doesn't look like you were headin'-home" we sit in silence a bit more before I turn around. "It doesn't matter where I'm heading." I hear him taking long strides before I sense him behind me. "Look dude-" he raises a fist behind his head and swings. He looks so fragile, I can't just hit an old man. I drop my bag and start running, my footsteps loud and heavy. What the hell is wrong with this guy? My breath quickens and i stop, crouching into the bushes. A twig snaps and my breathing comes to a complete stop as I try to determine what what to do. I could yell for help, I could run, I could attack him, or I could stay put and wait for him to leave. All but two of those options are way too risky, and i refuse to hit an old man. I decide on staying hidden, and waiting for him to get bored of whatever sick game he's playing. All noises stop so I assume he's gone, and step out to stretch. My back popped and i let out the breath I was holding, letting my heart return to it's regular pace before heading back to the tracks. He couldn't have gotten too far, so I do keep an eye out for my attacker. My small, blue bag is exactly where I left it with all of its contents still stuffed inside. I bend down to grab it, when there is a sudden pain in my back and i am knocked to the ground. I groan and roll over onto my back. "Son of a-" a piece of tape is placed carefully over my mouth. He hits me again and everything gets fuzzy. He reajusts  the tape a few times as I slip in and out of consiousness. "-sorry kid."