Chapter 7

She stops as she sees her mother, Emberfur, sleeping. The scent stops right by her. "Are you alright?", Silverpaw whispers gently.

Her mother moves her tail in a sign to go away, without opening her eyes. Farther into the nursery is the youngest queen, Ivyfrost, with her first litter. Silverpaw walks over to the corner.

"The kits look healthy," Silverpaw says to the new queen.

"They are," Ivyfrost replies, gleaming at her kits proudly. The tortoiseshell queen licked her five healthy kin. She looked so exhausted she looked half dead.

"Five kits is a lot to take care of," Ivyfrost continues. Two kits were a dark tabby color, two were light tabbies, and one kit was a brilliant white colour.

"They're really quite large, though," the queen says looking at the growing darker tabbies.

"I fret that Swankit isn't as big as the others, I'll have to ask Windwhisper if there's anything she can do to help," she sighs, staring at the white kit with worry.

"Well, i'll leave you to rest", Silverpaw says as she walks out of the nursery. "I really hope Swankit is okay", Silverpaw said to herself. All this clan needs right now is good luck, not depressing news.

She sees Swifttail enter the camp from her patrol. Silverpaw rushes over to her. " Can you teach me how to hunt? All the other apprentices know how," Silverpaw begged her mentor.

"Ummm, sure," Swifttail replies as they head back to the entrance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Silverpaw and Swifttail return to camp with jaws full of fresh kill. "That was easier than I thought it would be," she said to her mentor.

Silverpaw dropped the vole and plump mouse on the fresh kill pile. Nightstar walked over to greet them. "I see your training is going well. You'll become a warrior in a couple of moons if you keep that pace up," the leader meowed. Silverpaw blushed with embarrassment.

"I'll do anything to help my clan," Silverpelt says. She turns to see Frostpaw eyeing her. He swishes his tail for her to join him.

Nightstar must have seen her looking at him. "You two would be cute together," Nightstar jokes. Silverpaw blushed even more. "You can eat with him after you take this rabbit to the elders and something for Windwhisper."

"Ok. But me and Frostpaw....there's nothing between us," Silverpaw said doubtingly. She didn't even know what she thought about him anymore.

"Yah, sure. Only starclan will know," Nightstar said, pushing the rabbit towards Silverpaw and then disappearing back into her den.

"That was weird. Usually Nightstar doesn't get into her subjects romance," Swifttail said, glaring at the leader's den.

"What romance? There isn't any between Frostpaw and me," Silverpaw snaps as she carries the rabbit off to the elders fallen tree. She turns halfway to see the hurt in her mentor's eyes.

(Word Count 490)