Chapter 5

Den plopped herself face down into the softness of her bed. She looked sideways at the digital clock next to her headlamp and gasped when she saw that it was already 4 o'clock in the morning. She lost track of time at the bar.

She closed her eyes hoping that the day's stress will make her sleep. It didn't work. Biglang bumangon at pumunta sa kitchen to drink a glass of cold milk. And then, she saw the post-it note:

I'm sorry for being such an ass. :( I love you. LA

Den stared at the note for a few seconds as though trying to find meaning out of its brevity. She sighed, took the note off the fridge, folded it and placed it in an empty shoebox.

***********************************************************************************************

It was scorching hot on location but the cool breeze from the coast saved Den's whole production crew from melting under the sun. The theme was urban summer chic and Den, in spite of herself, began to enjoy her 'work'. It also helped that her makeup artist turned out to be a former schoolmate, Ana.

I bet you're only doing this for fun. Papasok ka ba sa company ng dad mo? Ana remarked as she was doing some final touches on Den's makeup.

Den just shrugged and smiled.

After the shoot, she found herself sitting inside her dad's office habang hinihintay niya na matapos ang board meeting nito. She rummaged through some business magazines on the rack and didn't find anything to her liking. She settled with the latest issue of Time.

She was halfway through one article when the door opened.

Den looked up to see her dad's imposing figure. He looked in her direction and broke into a smile.

Den, I'm glad you made it. He walked towards Den with arms extended, getting ready for an embrace.

How are you, Papa? She missed him so much.

You'd always get the same answer, Den. You know that.

Den knows so much not to push for a follow-up question. She just looked up and smiled at the gray-haired man whom she loves and is very afraid of.

I do hope you have a different answer this time, Den. Her dad now in a more serious tone.

Yes, Dad. I'll work for the company. She gave her dad a kiss on the cheek.

I'll see you tomorrow, sir.

No, Den. You start working today.