Chapter Five

Cynefin:

(n.) a place where a person or animal feels it ought to live and belong; where nature around you feels right and welcoming

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The car comes to a stop and the lights come on, waking me in the process. I pull myself up and look around sleepily. Etio has his head leaned against the window, asleep. I gently shake him as Mr. Lewis gets out of the car. 

"Hey we're here Etio," I comment as he stirs to life. 

He yawns and gets out of the car. Within a few seconds, he opens my door and helps me into the wheelchair. The car is parked in front of a three-story building, some sort of living place. Etio and I head in, him directing me through what looks like a commons room, down a hallway, and into an unoccupied room.

"You can sleep here tonight. We will get you into another room and unpacked tomorrow," he says as he puts my stuff down.

I pull myself onto the bed. Etio and I bid each other a good night and he walks out, closing the door behind him. I'm laying in a queen sized bed in a fairly sized room. I can't see well because of the dark, but I make out a  dresser, closet, and a door leading to what I presume is a bathroom. I lay under the warm comforter, and feel tired once again. I am both physically and mentally tired after the last few days, so I don't find it hard to fall asleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wake up to sunlight streaming in through the windows on either side of the bed. I pull myself up to a sitting position, looking at the clock on the wall. It's already 9 am and I am hungry. I'm still wearing the shorts and tank I was wearing when we left the hospital yesterday. 

I struggle to pull myself into the wheelchair and roll to the door leading to the hallway. I open and peek out, looking both directions. To the left leads to the commons area I saw last night, to the right is an empty hallway. Choosing the latter, I head right. I go down the hallway and turn the corner, running into a girl and knock books out of her hand. 

"I am so sorry," I apologize, reaching down to help her pick up her books. I pick up one with a cover of a waterfall, titled A Guide to Nature Photography. I look up and hand the girl her book. She has blonde hair and bright blue eyes, covered behind a pair of glasses. She has a camera strapped around her neck and is wearing a navy sweater.

"No, I should have watched where I was going," she comments with a smile. Sudden realization hits her expression changes. "Oh my, you're Liv, just who I was looking for! I'm your new roommate Jamie Clark," she grins sticking out her hand. I return the gesture and smile. 

"Etio wanted me to find you and help you move in, he had to go help Alpha," she explained as she walked towards the room I came from. She hands her books to me and grabs my suitcase. "Anyways, we are on the first floor in room 18. My last roommate found her mate and moved in with him, leaving me all alone. Hopefully, I can meet mine soon, my 17th birthday is in two weeks," she continues jabbering on as she walks out and down the hallway, leading me to our room.

"Sorry Jamie," I interrupt. "Who's alpha and what's a mate?"

She turns and starts to smile as if I'm joking. Suddenly it hits her that I'm not, and her eyes grow wide. "Oh...um, I thought you already knew," she quickly stated. "I guess once Etio is done, him and Alpha- well Mr. Lewis will explain everything to you," she turns and starts walking down the hallway once again, only silent this time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jamie and I unpack my bag and put it into my dresser and closet space. Jamie explains that the campus is an old college campus, converted for all of us. Our room is styled like a dorm room or a small apartment. 

It has two beds, a small bathroom, a bedroom, and a small kitchen/ living area. We put our beds together, making a bunk bed. I have the lower bed, which we both agree makes the most sense. I don't have and stuff besides clothes, so Jamie explains that we can go to the store tomorrow. 

About an hour and a half into unpacking, there is a knock at our door. Jamie gets up, checks the peephole and opens the door. In walks Etio, placing himself on the couch like he lives here. I look over at Jamie, who has a big smile plastered across her face, paired with red blushing on her cheeks.

"Do you want anything Etio," she asks "We have sodas and water and chips..." she drones on. Etio looks over at her and declines, thanking her in the process. Just by looking, I can tell Jamie has a crush on Etio, but he seems completely oblivious.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a few minutes of chatting, Etio rolls me out of our room, and through the commons area. In the daylight, I can see the room in all of its glory. The room is huge, having multiple couches, a dining table, a large tv, a pool table, and a bunch of windows. 

As we pass, there are about thirty girls in the commons area. When we go by them, nearly all of them turn their heads looking at Etio. There are girls who look my age, as well as ones older and younger. 

"Well you just seem to be Mr. Popular," I joke, looking up at Etio.

He turns his head looking in the direction of all the girls, causing them to look away quickly. "Well, I am the Alpha's son," he comments with a grin, not seeming to mind this fact. Yet I still don't know what an Alpha is.

  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

We head outside, greeted by the sunlight. Its a beautiful day,  and there are even more people outside. There are girls and guys of all ages, reading, having picnics, taking a walk, playing frisbee, and many other things. 

Across the sidewalk and grassy area, there is another building. It mirrors the outside of my building, which I conclude are the guys' and girls' dorm houses. We head down the sidewalk, Etio pointing things out along the way. The dining hall, where we have dinner every night. The English, Math, Science, and History buildings. The hospital building, where I'll continue physical therapy. The trails, the gym, the adult housing, and the swimming hole. Finally, Alpha and Luna house, where we are heading next. 

Even though i have only been here one day, I already love this place. I have always had friends and such, but I really feel like this is where I belong, like this is where my home is. The place is beautiful and everyone seems friendly. Even people I haven't met smile and greet me as if we are family. 

There are mostly kids and teens, but there are still plenty of adults walking around. There are people from all over the world, Asia, Europe, England, South America, Austrailia, and other States from the US. The whole campus is green and lush, surrounded by mountains and trees in every direction. Everyone belongs here. Everyone sees this beautiful place as their home.

  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

AN: Hello everyone! I really enjoyed this chapter. I originally was gonna explain everything this chapter, but I felt I needed to spend more time introducing the campus and her new life coming up ahead. I promise next chapter will be explaining everything. I hope everyone enjoys this, let me know if you see any mistakes or have any questions. Thank you!

Don't forget to Vote and Comment!

-Grace