Chapter 2

It had been over six months now since Annika and Shivaay had got married. But it hadn't changed Shivaay at all. He was still that silent and the man of few words. He only answered when Annika asked him something and concentrated only on his work. Annika on the other hand was very happy. Her marriage was working well till now. Her in laws were sweet and found something to praise her about.Her husband was kind and gentle though he looked forlorn most of the days. She had always wanted to talk to him about it but couldn't. Her past had scarred her so badly that she rarely about anything that didn't concern her. But Shivaays misery made her worry. She knew he was taking medicines for depression and also could figure out that he didn't sleep well at night. She was thankful to him and his family for taking her in so well and she wanted to help Shivaay to get out of his dilemma. One night Shivaay woke up shivering and trembling. He was groaning and moaning in pain. His head was throbbing with pain. His voice woke up Annika.
Annika switched on the lights and said worriedly 'Shivaay , are you okay ? Shivaay look at me .' She took his hands and saw they were really cold and clammy. Shivaay clutched on to her and wailed. She got scared and got some water for him after getting out of his clutches and went on to call the doctor. Within half an hour the doctor had calmed Shivaay down and had given him some sedatives to put him to sleep.
He then turned to Annika and said 'These are the medicines you are to give him if he gets these attacks again. He suffers from depression and is getting treated for it as you know. These attacks are bound to happen occasionally.'
Annika nodded and I saw the doctor to the door.
Annika went up to her bedroom and saw Shivaay peacefully. She stroked his silky black hair and stayed awake the whole night. She thought that as a wife she was no good because she couldn't understand her own husbands pain and could do nothing to reduce it. She thought the whole night about what was the matter with Shivaay and what gave him these sleepless nights. By dawn Annika fell asleep and didn't notice Shivaay getting up and getting ready for office. When she got up she saw Shivaay having his coffee , she asked 'Shivaay how are you feeling now? Is it necessary for you to go to office today?'
Shivaay gave her a short smile and said 'I am sorry for the trouble last night. I am feeling better now and I do have an important meeting .'
Shivaay got up to leave , stopped and looked back at Annika and said 'I am lucky to have a wife as caring as you'
With that he left the room leaving Annika and her thoughts all alone.
Annika decided that today she would find out the root of Shivaay's pain.
She hunted in his cupboard and finally found pretty old saree and tucked in its folds were photographs of Shivaay and a very pretty lady. The lady stood hand in hand with Shivaay and Annika saw she had red vermillion on the parting of her hair. She turned the photograph and saw Shivaays scribble which read 'I am sorry Meeta. Please come back'. Annika looked at all the photographs and saw the same message on all of them. Annika sat down on the bed in shock. So Shivaay had , had a previous marriage which had ended. But why was Shivaay saying sorry to Meeta. And what was the reason for Shivaay ending his marriage. Annika's mind was swirling with unanswered questions and a whirlpool of emotions was growing with her. She waited till Shivaay returned from work. She prepared two cups of coffee. Today she and he would have a chat about his past.
Shivaay returned and was surprised to see Annika sitting with two cups of coffee.
He said 'Annika , I didn't know you liked coffee'
Annika said 'Oh I do especially with some company. Come sit Shivaay. Have a cuppa with me'
Shivaay approached her and sat on the sofa with the hot coffee and thanked her for it.
Annika said 'So how was your meeting ?
Shivaay replied 'It was good .Tell me about your day.
Annika said 'My day was very informative today actually. I found out something about you'
Shivaay looked a bit tensed and said 'What ?'
Annika said 'I found a picture of you and Meeta.'
The colour drained Shivaays face , he said stiffly 'How dare you go through my belongings'
Annika said 'It's my right as your wife to know about your past , present and future. I admit the way wasn't correct but I deserve the truth Shivaay. Please tell me who was she and what happened to her'
Shivaays eyes were filled with tears he said in a thick voice 'Yes you deserve the truth. Meeta was my best friend,my soulmate , my love and my wife but I lost her two years ago.'

Annika gasped and Shivaay continued his tale.

Do tell me how you liked this part and please vote. Would love your views. Next part to be up soon.