Chapter 4

Shivaay had got a wreath of beautiful flowers for Annika to put on her hair on their anniversary. Shivaay cleared his throat and said 'Annika I have got a little something for you and I would like it if you wear it for tonight's party.'
Annika blushed and said 'Shivaay would you put it on my hair please. I am really clumsy with such things.'
Shivaay was a little embarrassed yet pleased and said 'Okay'
He went near her to put the flowers. They stood really close to one another now and Shivaay could see Annika hiding a smile in the mirror. Annika looked ravishing. In that golden and black saree , her hair tied up in a neat and stylish bun and a backless blouse. And those flowers just enhanced her beauty. Shivaay was about to leave when his eyes caught sight of numerous purple marks on Annika's bare back. They were marks of deep scars. They had faded which meant they were old wounds. Shivaay came towards Annika and lightly touched those scars , sending an electric shock down Annika's spine. She turned around and said 'What are you doing Shivaay?'
Shivaay said 'Annika what are those marks on your back'
A black shadow of fear  showed on Annika's face , she mumbled 'Nothing' and hurriedly put the end of her saree on her back that covered the scars.
Shivaay shook Annika and said 'Annika what  are those marks for ? Who did that to you ? And why did you hide it from me ?
Annika didn't meet Shivaays eyes and said 'It was my ex husband who put those marks'
Shivaay said 'Ex?'
Annika nodded and said 'I guess just like I didn't know that you were widower , you didn't know that I am a divorcee as well. Our families didn't say anything to us about each other.'
Shivaay who was still in a bit of shock said 'But now you know about my past , I think I should know about yours too.Its been a year that we have lived with one another, why didn't you tell me this before ?'
Annika trembled and said 'Because I thought you would despise me too just like the others did . You would blame me too just like the others.'
Annika took a deep breath and said 'My ex husband Aryan and I too had a similar love story like yours. We both met in college and fell in love. Or at least I did and I thought he loved me too. My dad as you know was extremely powerful and rich at that time as well. Aryan showered me with love. I was crazy for him but my dad didn't want me to get involved with him anymore. I told this to Aryan and he told me that he would take care of him even if he had to fight the entire world. After three years of relationship Aryan proposed me for marriage. I told this to dad but he declined . He told me rather warned me that Aryan was a no good person and he would leave me one day . But my super stupid brain thought that my father was just too evil for words. I discussed things with Aryan and he told me that we would runaway and get married. He also told me that I should steal some money and jewellery from my parents too. I said no at first but he brainwashed me saying that whatever is theirs is mine too and it wouldn't exactly be stealing. So I did what he told me to. After a year of marriage , the money that I had stolen and the money I had got from selling my mom's jewellery was starting to run out. When I asked Aryan about how he planned to sustain us he said that I was too demanding and that I had the audacity to ask him to support me. I reminded him of all the promises he had made to me. And then started my journey to hell and back. Aryan had a huge habit of drinking and some days he used to come home dead drunk and hit me. Some days he used to sexually assault me and on other days he used to just mentally torture me. I couldn't get a job because I was a fool to run away with this monster and leave my studies mid way. I was too ashamed to go back to my parents. Helpless I used to take this torture for three years and then my dad found me somehow. He saw what Aryan had done to me and took me home.He didn't say word for my betrayal of his trust nor did he say 'I told you so'. My dad did all that was necessary to put Aryan behind the bars and got me a divorce. Whenever I used to step out of my house people taunted  me  but my father used to come to my aid immediately. Then my father told me that he had decided to get me married to you. He told me you were the son of his best friend and that you were a really nice person. I had made the mistake of going against my fathers wishes once so I didn't protest. Deep down I was scared of this marriage. I had thought that if you knew my truth you would throw me out of your life as well.'
Annika stopped and Shivaay seized her and hugged her tightly and caressed her hair. He said 'Annika if I ever get hold of that Aryan I swear I will kill him. And how did you ever think I would blame you for anything. Yes you made a mistake but this ordeal is no justification for that mistake. I promise I will keep you protected from everything. You will never have to be traumatised by these memories ever again. I will fill your life with so much happiness that you will have to forget these scars of the past.'
Annika hugged him tighter and said 'I never though I would fall in love ever again but with you I....'
Shivaay broke away from her hug and said 'You love me ?'
Annika said 'Yes I do. I fall in love with you everyday. You are the man I had always dreamt of as a teenager. You are my prince. But I know you love me just as a friend and I have no qualms about it. One day you will fall in love with me too.'
Shivaay said 'Annika I don't know what to say except that Shivaay Singh Oberoi will always look after you. Yes I don't love you like a husband should but I have huge respect for you and I just need some time to get over Meeta. I know it will take time but I as long as I have you on my side everything is possible. Now give me a smile.'
Annika smiled and said 'I am lucky to have you.'
Shivaay said 'You said that you had left your studies in between. Were you preparing for something?'
Annika wiped her face with the back of her hand and said 'Yes the civil services exam. But it was a dream I had given up long ago.'
Shivaay just nodded and said 'Let's go down for the party.'
That night both Shivaay and Annika slept peacefully.

After a week Shivaay asked Annika for her signatures on a form. Annika said 'What is it for ?'
Shivaay said 'Just sign please.'
Annika did and Shivaay said 'Excellent. Now open these packets that I have got for you.'
Annika did and saw they contained books for the preparation of civil services exam. She looked at Shivaay and said 'What's this ?'
Shivaay said 'From today you will start preparing for these exams and you will become an IAS officer. You have more than ten months to prepare. I will help you too if you want me to. But you will do it. And if not this year the next year. But you will become independent so that you never feel that you are a burden.Leave the household chores to me. I will get someone to help me with those.'
Annika was overwhelmed and said 'I don't know how to thank you for this.'
Shivaay said 'By clearing the exams and becoming an IAS and letting me enjoy the perks that you get.'
So Annika prepared and she prepared hard. On the day of the exam she was nervous but Shivaay calmed her. Her exams went wonderfully well. After a month were the results and on the day of the result.....

Do tell me how you liked this part. I will update the next and the last part of this story very soon. Lots of love.