Basilica to Bandshell

Waiting. I am sitting in the waiting area of the volunteer section of the Basilica block party festivities. I am a floater. I will do whatever they ask me to. I am hoping it will be to escort Edward Sharpe to and from his trailer to stage. Maybe I will be a backup singer for Michael Franti or Delta Rae?!

I wait and wonder at the possibilities. I met a new friend Maggie as I was waiting but her friends came now and they were called to action.

Oh this is an adventure. There are hundreds of volunteers here. What are we all going to do? It is a mystery to me. I am just excited to hear the music and people watch and not have to pay for it. I am not allowed to drink alcohol so it will also be fun to be the sober one at Panic! At the Disco.

I am humming the Eric Hutchinson song he will probably open his show with in a few hours...

"Cause If she wanna rock she rocks

If she wanna roll she rolls

She can roll with the punches

Long as she feels like she's in control

If she wanna stay she stays

If she wanna go she goes

She doesn't care how she gets there

Long as she gets somewhere she knows oh no

Ah na na na na na na na na na na na

Ah na na na na na na na na na na na "

The floaters were summoned to be dispatched. I was sent to be a bar back at the Vita.mn stage. The bartenders were so fun! Two guys in their mid thirties, best friends since their years at St. Paul Central High. They were hustling asking for tips, applauding for generous tippers and flirting with the ladies. It was a comedy act. They were the most charming carnies selling the game of wine by claiming its heart health. Our Ménage a Trois red and white blend, Chardonnay, and Pinot gave the craft beer tent neighbors a competition. I am sure we made the most tips though. Some lush music and wine consumers gave us $20!

I became an expert at opening bottles. Corks piled up in my pocket, and I broke a few nails. The chilled iced wine looked so refreshing. Too bad I couldn't drink it.

The music line up I was bar backing looked a little like this:

VITA.MN STAGE:

5:00PM-5:45PM

STEREO CONFESSION

6:00PM‐6:45PM

CARROLL

7:00PM-7:45PM

BLACK DIET

I was let go after hearing Local favorites. Not a bad gig. 3 hrs opening wine bottles in exchange for free admission for 2 days of music!

I caught an ear shot of Delta Rae, but wasn't into it in the moment... So I headed to Panic! At the Disco just in time to hear their Miss Jackson hit. The guys I just saw at the Vita.MN stage crowd in around me and I make small talk. They are cute in a cult following band geek kind of way. They may be gay, but flirt anyway. 'There is something really catchy about their sound. It makes me feel like I am in high school. The lead guys voice makes me feel like an adolescent girl with a man crush on a guy in leather pants.'

The golden sun was illuminating the night and glowing color was fading to dusk as Edward Sharpe and Michael Franti were taking stage. I caught a few songs of each.

I got an excited call from my friend Bartley earlier in the day who was ecstatic about seeing Grease at Lake Harriet bandshell at dusk. As I was kinda bored and sober at the block party I decided to head to the lake.

Oh my stars, am I glad I decided to change venues. It was so fun making memories at the movie in the park. We sang along to Grease Lightning and Summer Nights under the moon and the stars.