Chapter Six

Chapter Six

          “This can’t be true.” I say as Drelkin teleports us to a roof.

          “I wouldn’t lie to you.” He says.

          “So you’ve been spying on their whole operation the entire time?” I ask.

          “Yes.” He say.

          “Why haven’t you stopped it?” I ask, he could put an end to the whole thing in the snap of a finger.

          “I like to let my brother play his little games.”

          “Oh.” I say.

          The sun starts to rise and I turn to watch it.

          “What happens now?” I ask.

          “What do you mean?” Drelkin asks, turning to watch the sunrise with me.

          “I mean, I’m on your side now. I can’t trust Aleister after what he’s just done.” I say.

          “What do you want to do?” He asks me.

          “I think I should play his little games. Make him think I’m oblivious.” I say, looking at him.

          “I like the way you think. But you do know I can answer any and all questions you have.” He says.

          “Then what’s he using me for?” I ask.

          He opens his mouth to answer but then closes it. “I don’t know.”

          “See? I’ll play along and find out what he wants from me.” I say, “Can you take me home now?”

          “Of course.” He wraps me in his arms and teleports me to my room.

          I start to pull away but he tightens his grip. “Don’t I get a goodbye kiss?” His voice is playful.

          I smile, starting to lean toward him. But when my lips are centimeters from his I say, “No.” And step out of his arms.

          He smiles. “I’ll get a kiss out of you at some point, you did kiss me once before.”

          “Just go.” I say with a smile.

          He disappears and I go downstairs to make some breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          “What happened last night?” Aleister asks that afternoon.

          “Nothing.” I say.

          “No, Drelkin took you somewhere, what happened? Did he do anything?” He asks with slight anger in his voice.

          “No, he just took me to a roof and a whole lot of nothing happened.” I say.

          He doesn’t say anymore but I know that he doesn’t believe me.

          “Ezmerelda has agreed to let you back into the group if you still want to be there.” He says.

          “Why would I want to go back to a place where I just get beat up for nine hours and then yelled at?” I ask.

          “Things would change, Ezmerelda doesn’t want to see you as much as you don’t want to see her. You’d train with me.” He says.

          I think about it for a moment. Being in the group seems like it’s part of his plan, and if I want to play along I need to seemingly walk blind into all of his little traps. “Okay, I’ll come back.” I say.

          He looks ecstatic.

          We spend the rest of the day doing little tasks; burning the dead bodied, picking up debris, helping the wounded, spreading the food around to those who can’t make or get their own, fixing my door.

          We barely finish getting my door back into it’s proper place when the sun starts going down. I pull my hair into a pony tail, put on my jacket, and head out the door with Aleister. As we walk down the street the sun sinks completely and something I don’t expect happens.

          Christie runs at me from nowhere.

          “Ruby!” She yells, her hair is messed up and her clothes are torn and her makeup is smeared.

          “Christie.” I say surprised, “How did you get out?” I ask.

          “This is a conversation for another time, we need to get out of here.” Aleister says.

          He takes us to a safe house and we sit down in a corner.

          Christie starts telling us her story. “They took me to this really dark room and did… horrible things to me,” She chokes on a sob. “It was terrible. I thought I was going to die.” Tears slip down her face.

          Part of me knows that it’s all just an act, but part of me feels for her. My eyes start to water but I hold the tears back.

          “I don’t know how I got back but I’m just glad that I found you two quickly.” She says.

          “I’m glad you got out too.” I say.