Amara

~about a year and a half or so later~
(post Sage and Mason's honeymoon, post war, post birth of their daughter)

Faith's POV

"Oh god! Just stop it babe," I laugh at the crude jokes my mate taunts me with. He lifts his head from my chest to smile at me...he is all playfulness and excitement as he looks up at me with shining eyes.

"You know you love it," he responds cockily, leaning into my hand as I play with his lengthy hair. I haven't cut it since Sage was still pregnant.

"Debatable." His eyes narrow playfully and then before I can react, he has my hands pinned above my head and his lips are on mine. I smile into the kiss, forever amused by his love to show dominance.

We are broken apart by the wail of my niece. Her screams echo through the house as she voices out her displeasure through another tantrum. Carver immediately groans out, rolling off to the side of me. "What a buzz kill," He huffs out. I'd think he was serious but when I look over at him, the smile on his face says it all. He loves the infant downstairs as much as we all do. Over her first year, she has weaseled her way into everyone's heart with her big hazel eyes and 5-toothed smile. Every wolf in this pack is wrapped around her little finger.

"Come along, love. You're sister is probably going to need your help."

I sit up and follow him out of my room, gabbing his hand as I walk at his side. "Oh please, you know that if anyone needs help, it's your best friend. He has absolutely no restraint when it comes to his little girl."

"And who says that's a bad thing?"

When we walk into the room, my sister is bouncing the source of all the noise on her left hip while trying to engage the child with toys held in her right hand.

"I'd say everyone who has to feel the wrath of her not getting what she wants," I answer, looking up at him with a smirk before pulling my hand out of his and walking towards the normally happy child.

"Amara, sweet girl, what is it that mommy refused to give you?" I coo softly, taking her from my sister's arms. Sage glares at me for blaming her and I respond immaturely by sticking my tongue out at her. Amara's sobs turn to soft whimpers as her small hands reach for my face. I nuzzle my nose against her cheek and she finally lets out an innocent giggle. Her tear stained cheeks are forgotten in her sweet mind as she tugs playfully on my hair, harder than she meant to I'm sure.

When I wince, my sister laughs at my pain. "You deserve that. My daughter knows how to defend her Momma," she grins, leaning down to pick up Amara's toys from the carpet.

"She was hardly defending you," I scoff, nuzzling my nose into my sweet little niece's cheek. She giggles, her eyes closing in happiness. "We all know I'm her favorite."

Sage glowers at me, "Don't make me take her back out of your arms."

"And deal with her screaming again? No thank you," I laugh, smiling up at my mate's handsome face when he kisses Amara's temple. Damn he's cute.

I can see the pain in Sage's eyes at the way he touches my hip to keep me close. I can see the jealousy as her eyes dart down to my mark- something I've been sporting only just this past month. I remember her freaking out when she saw it and demanding to know if Carver had forced it upon me. In all actuality it was mostly me repeatedly telling him that I was ready for that next step for like two weeks before he believed me. I'm still getting used to the changes it brings- mind link, the ability to feel his emotions, as well as his physical pain...the increased desire it brings...

But we're talking about Sage and how when she looks at me and Carver, all I see is her guilt and envy clearly swirling in those blue eyes, and all I can think of is how once again it is my fault that she has only one child. How it's my fault that her mate cringes every time he looks at her. How it's my fault that he barely ever even grazes her skin in passing, let alone gives her the affection that she, like the rest of us, craves so desperately. 

"Um...hey.." Speak of the devil.

I turn my head to face Mason as he walks in, dipping my chin slightly in response to my Alpha's presence, however my barely restrained a aggravation towards him remains just under the service.

"I was just going to take Amara out for a walk...I can come back later."

"No it's okay. Maybe we could both go?" Sage asks, looking at him with the kicked-puppy eyes we've all gotten used to.

He winces as though the idea hurts him and it takes everything in me not to growl at him.

"I'll just come back in an hour."

"How about Car and I take Amara and you two can have some time to go talk," I speak up, glaring into my Alpha's eyes. Carver tries to tug on my arm to turn my attention away from Mason but I can't help the desire I have to make him listen to me.

"I don't think so," he answers darkly. The wolf in me lays belly up, whining out at the pain of trying to stand up to Mason. I regretfully lower my eyes, turning to Sage instead.

She's the only one who is even partially capable of overpowering him. But she already has her eyes, and head, lowered in a way no Luna ever should.

Broken.

The whole pack knows this. Outside packs will begin to hear. There will be nothing left of us if Mason keeps beating his Luna into nothing but a shell of herself. Our pack is weak with the two of them separated and it's only a matter of time before someone comes in to challenge my sister. If she loses that, she will be gone and Mason will follow- not because he actually loves her anymore, but because they are still connected and her death will kill a part of him, making him vulnerable too to challenges.

I wish I could say that I have faith that Sage would win in a challenge, but I don't know if she has that fire in her anymore. Amara's safety may be the only thing capable of pulling ferocity from her, but even then I just don't know how capable she is.

The thought makes my wolf salivate, ever hungry for a step up in the ranks, without a care for blood relations.

I know that if my wolf is capable of wanting to go after our Luna, every other female in the pack will be feeling the same animalistic hunger.

It's only a matter of time.