Twelfth: The Girl Rachel

Twelfth: The Girl Rachel

I went early to the beach the next day and found Ethan leaning on a huge rock with his arms folded in front of his chest, waiting for someone.  While I was walking to the entrance, his eyes were creeping at me.  I could read his facial expression and found that he wasn’t happy that I told my dad what they did.  I sensed that he wanted to talk to me so I ended up walking towards him.

       “Why are you looking at me like that? As if I’ve done anything wrong.” I started.

       “You did. You told your dad about us last night, didn’t you?” He unfolded his arms and couldn’t be more focused.  He stared at me eagerly waiting for my answer.  Just when I noticed that he didn’t have his shirt on.  Only his black board shorts.  He had muscles, not the “incredible hulk” kind, but just the “muscles that were taken for granted” kind.  Not that I care anyway.  But other than that, he was perfectly fit.  He had a swimmer’s body.

       “Don’t freak out about it. Of course I didn’t.” I said trying to avoid contact, which was incredibly awkward.

       “You didn’t?” he was surprised, “Seriously?”

       “Do you want me to tell him? Right now?” I motioned at my dad who was just a distant from us. 

       “No!  Just stop, okay?” He freaked.

       “Woah. I didn’t know that a big guy like you can get easily scared.” I teased.  Big wasn’t really the right word for it.  Maybe tall.

       “Just promise me that you didn’t see anything last night, okay?”

       “Why would I see anything last night? I was asleep.”  I tried to be sarcastic.

       “Good. That proves that you didn’t really see anything.”

       “Whatever.” I snapped. 

       Before I continued walking, he added, “Thanks, by the way.”

       I turned my head and just smiled, didn’t know what else to say.

The swim class had ended and I waited for Bridget outside the girl’s shower room.  The next thing I know I was beside with this blonde girl whose scent smelled fruity.  It was so sweet that you can almost taste the scent she’s wearing.  She was about my height and it looked like we have the same age too.  She had her hair down and it was perfectly straight and glossy.  She had sparkling eyes.  She wore an orange pastel dress with flowers on it.  It seemed that she was afraid to talk.

       “Hey.” I began.

       “Hi.” she said.

       “I’m Saydie, by the way.”

       “Rachel.” She smiled.

       Ah. Rachel, I thought.  So she’s the one everybody’s talking about, the one who had straight blonde hair and a pretty face.  In fact, she was really attractive. 

       “New here, huh?” I asked.

       “Yes, trying to get used to.” She brushed her hair behind her ear.

       “Good luck.”

       She stared, “What do you mean?”

       “I just meant good luck. That’s all.”

       The queue holding the line was moving little by little.  We stepped back and stayed at a spacey corner.

       “Do you need to go in?”

       “No. I’m just waiting for my mom.” She looked impatient.

       “Same. But I’m waiting for a friend.”

       The line had finally grown less.

       “Do you like it here?”

       She turned to me, “Yes, I love living close to the beach.  But I’m a bit worried though.”

       “Why would you say that?” I kept my eyes focused on her.  

       “Because,” she explained, “It’s the first time that my mom and I had actually moved. My mom had recently had her divorce and she’s really adjusting and keeps finding a way to forget all about it.” She paused and locked her eyes to something that was far, “It’s just hard to keep up.”

       “Sorry about that.” I tried to reassure her.

       “It’s totally okay. My friends had heard it more than a thousand times.”

       “I bet you miss them.”

       She took a deep breath, “I do.” She sighed.