chapter 1

I rolled out of bed, hair in my mouth, and my sleep shirt twisted. "GRAMMA, I'M 19!" I yelled as I ran down the stairs. I found my Gramma waiting for me at the kitchen table with a cake in front of my seat. Next thing I knew, I was wearing a tiara and had blown out my 20 candles.

"Gramma, why did you put in 20 candles?" I asked.

"Well dear, since you are leaving me this year I thought I'd throw in one for good luck."

"Oh thanks Gramma! I'll surely miss you when I'm gone, but you can call me when you're lonely. I know it's only a temporary fix, but I'll visit when I can too."

"You know Margaret, my life is winding down and you and your brother are all that's left. I think it's time that you promise me something." She looked and me with a sad face but smiled as I nodded.

"Ok, so promise me you will put yourself out there in the city this year. I'm sure any guy would like someone who is as pretty inside and out as you."

I agreed. "Sure Gramma, I guess I have been lonely anyways," we both laughed "but isn't this a little too much like a rom-com?"

I swear, Gramma's face must've been the happiest it's ever been at that moment. She never found her soulmate, so she's always been persistent about me finding mine.

"You know what sweets, just because you said that, you have to go on 19 dates for your 19th birthday. I am expecting pictures!"

-----

LATER THAT DAY...

I have the last of my belongings from home in a large duffle bag beside me on the train. After a long ride, I end up under 30th street station. I honestly have no clue where I am, and I'm pretty sure I got off at the wrong station, so I call an Uber to take me to my new address. 

I hop into the car, greet the man with a simple "hello," and hand him a post-it note with my new address on it. He returns the greeting but continues to talk, which would usually be annoying, but I must admit, this dude is so hot! He's saying something about how he's excited for an upcoming movie marathon, but I'm lost in the architecture of his face. Sooner than I expected, I arrive at the entrance to my new apartment building. He catches my arm before I get out, and says with a mischievous grin, "Here's your paper back. Have a nice evening."

I'm out of the car just across from the Temple train station (the stop I should've gotten off at) and standing in front of this beautiful building. It's semi-modern; standard for off-campus university housing. I run through the lobby and almost miss the door to apartment 1D. I am greeted by an overly excited Emma Janes. She runs from behind a corner, slides my duffle bag off my arm, and gives me a bear hug. We squeeze the life out of each other even though we saw each other yesterday. It's just what best friends do.

Emma releases me from the lung-crushing hug and grabs my hand, leading me towards my new room. It has a wall of windows looking out onto the streets of North Philadelphia framed with pearl silk curtains. Sue me if I romanticize it too much. 

I stand there with my jaw agape. I saw the furniture we ordered together online, but never imagined it all laid out so perfectly like this! I take my jacket off, throw it onto the floor, and jump onto my bed.

"Margaret, something just fell out of your jacket pocket." Emma picks the thing up and exclaims, "OH. MY. GOSH. Margaret!!! Whose number is this?"

I am so confused. The only paper I had in my pocket was the one with my address on it. Oh, it must have been that hot blonde-topped guy from Uber. Ooooh, he really was hot, so I think I'll need that paper back from Emma before she steals him! 

"Emma! Give that back, he obviously gave it to me, not you!" I exclaim.

"Well babe, if you want it so bad you'll have to catch me first!" 

She runs past me and I chase her. Sometimes I feel like the two of us are still 12. 

"Emma! There's nowhere to go, so just hand it back. I'll tell you the entire story if you do." I say, knowing that she would never pass up an opportunity to get the tea. Emma hands me the paper and I run back to my bed. I plop down and she joins me.

Emma continues to press for details. "Okay, so are you going to tell me or what? I'm already in too deep to quit now, and you promised." 

I guess it's time to spill the tea then. Ugh! Emma always makes me feel like any relationship, even friendly, that I have with a boy is a huge deal. I tell Emma everything, except how I got lost in his beauty, specifically that gorgeous face, and couldn't listen to him speaking.

She quickly sits up on her bed and asks me for his name. I wonder now, did he tell me his name? I was not even paying attention to his babbling in the car. I guess I will have to text him to find out!

"Emma! Give me that paper!" I snatch the paper from her hand and type the number into the messages app.

MARGARET: "Hi, this is Margaret. May I have your name?"

MYSTERY MAN: 317-698-3990 "Hey beautiful, I'm Niall."

At this point, Emma is on the floor laughing and fanning herself. "Emma, what's your problem? Jealous??" I say, raising an eyebrow.

"No," she replies, "it's just, well, I find it funny that you're actually gonna get yourself a man."

I slide onto the floor and playfully hit Emma's shoulder. My phone beeps.

NIALL: "Ok, sorry if that was too cheesy. I just started talking to you and I already embarrassed myself"

MARGARET *typing* : "So Niall, tell me about yourself. I assume you have time and you're not on some highway right now ;) "

Emma grabs my phone before I send the message.

MARGARET: "So Niall, I hope you're free tonight ;)"

I am so dead right now. I AM A PROUD VIRGIN! And I'm definitely not getting it on, er off, with this Niall guy who I just met TODAY. Emma kept the winky face but boy, it couldn't have had a more suggestive meaning than in the sent text. Ugh!

Emma is literally rolling on the floor laughing. I take advantage of this crazy moment and get a video of her. And hey, why not send it to Niall so he understands my situation with a WEIRD roomie? But before I can capture this moment, Niall replies.

NIALL: " Yes, actually I am ;) "

OK wow. I have no clue what to do right now. I'm really hoping this "Niall" isn't some sleep-around guy.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: ok, so that was kind of like a "taster" for the story, lol if I can even call it that idek but ayyy please vote and COMMENT C'MON LADIES AND EVERYONE ELSE ILY ALL👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼