O N E || Knock Knock

O NE || Knock Knock

Cherilyn Sloan.

New York - one of the largest cities in the world. Its every breath, every beat is full of speed. Here, people are always in a hurry. In a hurry to leave the house, in a hurry to reach work at time, in a hurry to always be two steps ahead of life. There's no place here for people who live at a slow pace.

Lost in thought, I stand near the east river, staring at the city past the Brooklyn Bridge. Whenever I see the city from a distance, it's as if he's even closer. Whenever I miss him, I come to this very spot from where I can have a good view of the city. It is where I feel whole again.

It's been nearly 3 years since the incident. Since the phone call that wrecked our lives. Since Mum was called in to recognize the body. Since she had to painfully confirm that it was indeed Dad.

Word has it that there's an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted, once all the houses have been ripped apart, the wind will hush. The clouds will part. The rain will stop. The sky will clear in an instant and only then, in those quite moments after the storm, we learn who was strong enough to survive it.

Will I be able to?

I jog my way back home, almost breathless by the time I make it to the front door. I see Caroline coming out of the house next to mine, beaming at the sight of me. Her blonde hair falls in waves on her shoulders. Her pale freckled skin seems lively with her bright green eyes gleaming.

That girl has it easy. Gifted with a brain that once put to work on achieving something, gets thing done and yet, is quite gullible. The former worked for her well enough to get her into New York School of Interior Design and in a rather promising internship program.

Since she has the semester off, she moved from the dorms back home. You would think someone who likes decorating would be on a hunt to find something to decorate for herself, something more spacious than a room that is the size of her closet back here in her home. Although her dorm room is indeed very modern and cutting-edge, I'd have expected her to get her own place where she can chose the anything from chandelier in her room to the tile on the floor.Her family is pretty loaded, after all. Loaded enough to live in a much dapper neighborhood than this (it's not awful but not exactly the Upper East Side either) but her dad is quite a softie when it comes to inherited family stuff.

Caroline believes in the dorm life as an integral part of being a student.The communal bathrooms, the occasional masturbation noises, the incessant roommate trouble and the list of the cons kind of goes on but nothing fazes her. Like I said, once she puts her mind to something, she's unstoppable.

With a slight wave, she jumps into her car.

I nod with a smile and open up the front door, pulling out my ear phones.

"I'm home." I yell as I wrap my pony tail around my head, away from my sweaty neck.

I walk into the kitchen to grab some juice. I open up the fridge and place myself on the kitchen marble top, gulping the drink down directly from the bottle. Like all mums, mine doesn't approve of such manners or etiquettes either.

But like the past few days, she's yet again too busy to notice.

"I understand, Mr. Elliott. But try to understand my problem too." She goes on the phone right outside the kitchen. She lowers her voice realizing my presence. "We must have the loan extension, please. I know the restaurant is central situated but there's a lot of competition nearby."

After Dad's death, mum had to overtake the financial responsibilities of the house along with the other ones. But never has she once let us felt the grief of her problems.