UNEDITED/DO NOT READ || Chapter 3 - The Eavesdropping

Chapter 3 - The Eavesdropping

Louis Tomlinson

"Made some new friends already?"

I hear a familiar voice behind me as I enter through the front door. I turn around to find mum sitting on the couch with her arms folded across her chest. A newspaper seems to be sprawled at the edge of the couch. A mug of coffee is placed on the arm rest. By the looks of it, she's been up waiting for me.

"It was just dinner. I told you to go to sleep." I say, walking to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water.

I wander around to avoid confronting mum. For a man who lives alone, Uncle Harvey sure has a very well kept home.

"Louis.." Her voice trails off and I immediately know where this is going.

Heaving a sigh, I close my eyes. I remind myself to be the stronger person and to reassure her that everything will be okay. I've been doing that for quite some time so it's almost a recurring habit. As always I hide my crossed fingers behind me.

"Mum." I walk back towards her and place my hands on her shoulders. "You need to stop worrying about me so much."

She lets out a long sigh, not meeting my gaze. I know she's stealing a moment to stop herself from crying. I notice her lips quiver on her tired looking face as she struggles to mumble, "I'm your mother, Louis. Cut me some slack."

Without uttering another word, I pull her in a hug.

***

It's 11am. The sunlight pours through the glass window and ignites the chocolate shake sitting on the table in front of me. My eyes are locked on it as I swirl the straw around it and intently try to hang on to every word of the conversation happening on the booth behind me.

Life in NYC couldn't get more interesting.

"You're gonna meet him, fall in love, get married and have kids. You know what'll happen after that? One day he'll leave all of you and never come back! Then what will you do, huh?" I hear Cher demand. I can almost imagine her eyes popping out of their sockets.

"Find another guy?" The other girl replies in a small voice which makes me laugh a bit. I place my hand on my mouth to hold it back.

"UGH!" Cher cries out of exasperation. "How can you find him cute?"

"Shut up, Cher. You find no one cute."

"That's not true!"

The two drop their tones and it gets harder for me to listen clearly. I manage to catch some snippets.

"-normal to have feelings."

"-every other guy."

"-you never know until.."

After a few failed attempts, frustration gets the best of me and I turn around to the girls sitting on the booth next to mine.

My eyes meet with the girl Cher had been talking to and a somewhat bemused look appears on her face.

"I can't hear anything!" I cry out loud and Cher's head immediately swivels around to face mine. Her small face is yet again too occupied by the huge frame of glasses. For a second I wonder how she'd look without them.

"What are you doing here?" The surprise is evident in her voice but I can also detect that hint of venom her tone carries whenever she talks to me.

"Why can't I be here?"

"Were you eavesdropping?" She narrows her eyes and says with utter loathe.

"I was trying to but your sudden hushed tone made it impossible for me to hear anything!" I respond rather accusingly.