Chapter 9: Fluffy Sweaters And a Secret Adviser

The rest of that afternoon everyone was pretty somber and even though I didn’t personally know Matt I couldn’t help but feel sad for the boy.

“Apparently the challenges get harder and harder.” Tatum announced at dinner whilst playing with her creamy mash potatoes.

Amelia looked up with a worried expression.

“Amelia you’ll be fine. You beat out all three of us.” Zoé said sternly yet not unkindly.

The younger girl bowed her head and popped a mouthful of roast beef into her mouth.

Not so discreetly Tatum kicked me from under the table and gestured over my shoulder with her head.

Confused I turned in my seat to see Harper; her dark brown hair was pushed behind her ears and she wore a sickeningly sweet smile on her full lips.

“Hey Blair.” Harper smiled; her voice oozing with friendliness. I was suddenly worried.

Harper was a part of Chloe’s and Justin’s group of wannabes and followers and I’d never so much as spoken a word to her before. I furrowed my brows.

“Hey I guess.”

Harper gave an odd snicker; “I just wanted to come and personally congratu-”

The girl was promptly cut off as Ben appeared behind her; I couldn’t see what the hell he was doing but he stepped away slightly from Harper to place a pudding packet on our table. Only then did I realize Harper had had one arm behind her back; one arm holding the pudding.

Harper stiffened either from being so close to the attractive and intimidating boy or from being caught; I guessed it was a mix of the two. A dark blush spread across her face.

“I’m going to have to go, Blair.” The words tumbled from Harper’s mouth.

I opened my mouth but Ben’s beat me to it.

“Not before you apologize.” He muttered lowly so only Harper and my table could hear.

I noticed numbly that the dining hall had fallen into silence and everyone was now fixated on us.

“E-excuse me?” Harper choked out. “I did nothing wrong.”

Ben’s green eyes flickered to the pudding cup then back to Harper’s face.

The girl grimaced and raised her head spitefully; “I did nothing wrong.” She repeated.

Ben didn’t respond but his eyes bored into Harper’s. She held her ground for a moment but the power and influence coming off of Ben surprised and even intimidated me. Harper’s eyes fell to the ground and her head drooped.

“I’m sorry Blair.” Harper grumbled before spinning and stalking out of the hall.

From across the hall I could see Justin and Chloe visibly stiffen; dark scowls appearing on their faces as they watched the scene come to an end.

“Wow.” Amelia let out a sigh.

The room quickly fell back into its usual self as if it were nothing.

I on the other hand could not shake it. My body felt numb and I could feel myself shaking; but I didn’t know exactly what from. I regarded the pudding cup one last time before staring up at Ben who still hadn’t left.

“Ben you’re like a superhero; always coming around to protect Blair.” Tatum teased with a slight wink; “We could call you Big Ben or something.”

I shot her a look but Ben simply smiled.

The mood at our table was significantly lighter and brighter than before but I couldn’t stop shaking; something was eating away at me from the inside. A mix between confusion, anger and sadness. I stood abruptly stopping the conversation between Amelia and Ben.