chapter 13: Friends and family

“What the fuck did you do to her?” Paisley asks as she storms into Clayton’s house. She had a onesie on but a vicious look on her face, effectively making her look like the Easter bunny threatening homicide. I can see her from the lounge, where Clayton and I were watching bad television. He had given up his sullen mood and was now cheery. I guess he also decided not to let tonight get to him. 

“She’s fine, Paisley. Chill out.” He says and points to the lounge. I can see her breathe a sigh of relief through the doorway slash entertainment box. Paisley marches to me and yanks me off the couch. 

“Did he hurt you? Are you sick?” She proceeds to poke and prod me. She then steps back and gasps. “Did you guys… frickle frackle?” She asks and raises a mitten clad hand to her mouth. I laugh but shake my head.

 “Good, that rules out herpes.” She says and flops down onto the couch. “So why am I here?” She looks tired but I decide to at least give her the truth. So I explain everything.

She already knew about Jamie. She wasn’t around at the time but she knows about the abuse and how he moved overseas afterwards. She listens intently as Clayton leans against the door, arms folded.

“Holy crap, that’s harsh.” She says and slings an arm around me. Her arms are so familiar and I hug my best friend back. She is so amazing and understanding.

After a while she hands me a bag full of clothes and I thank her profusely. She always seems to be dressing me.

I go back to Clayton’s bathroom and pull out the freshly washed and folded clothes. I pull on a blue hoodie and dark jeans. She even packed socks and a pair of uggs.

I walk out, handing Clayton his clothes and Paisley her bag. I hug her tightly.

“Thanks, Pais.”

“It’s a pleasure, Mimi.” She says. Clayton steps forward and hands her the pink dress. She glares at him playfully but accepts it.

“Can I drive you home? And sleep over?” She asks as if I’ll refuse.

“’Course.” I say and she skips to the door. Only a true morning person can be this cheery at 1am. We all go to the door slowly.

“Paisley, can I have a moment with Mia?” Clayton asks and she nods and skips off to the car. When she closes the door I look at him. Well, up at him.

“Goodnight.” He says and hugs me. I wrap my arms around his torso and smile.

“Sorry about tonight. I really dragged you under.”

“Sadly, Mia, you’re kind of worth it.” Okay, that made me want to run into a wall out of giddiness.

“Softy.” I tease him.

“Yeah, I’m pretty whipped.” He jokes. “But in all seriousness, you don’t need to apologize for things other people do. You always apologize.”

“Yeah, but I got your lip split.”

“No, Jamie split my lip. Don’t ever apologize for what that dick-wad did.”

“Dick-wad?”

“I’m being serious.” He wouldn’t take my joke lightly.

“Okay.” I say.

We kiss. 

◀▶◀▶◀▶

“Morning.” My mom greets as I walk into the kitchen. I mumble greetings and look to see everyone sitting around the table.

Morello family meeting. These turn out so well.

“You know what this is about.” Daniel says and sits next to my grumpy looking dad. Guess he still hasn't gotten a ew coffee maker.