chapter 17: turning tables

“Lindsay?” Why the fuck would she talk to me?

 “Hey, Amelia.” She says and my right eye twitches. As I watch her flip her golden hair with perfectly manicured hands while smiling with pearly white teeth, my fists clench. 

We had never gotten along, ever since middle school when I had messed cheese fries on her shiny new cheerleader outfit.

 “It’s Amia,” I growl and she waves me off.

 “Whatever.” She shrugs. I was about to inform her that it mattered when she linked arms with me. “I need to freshen up.” She says and practically drags me to the bathroom.

 Breathe, Mia, breathe, I remind myself in order to not commit murder.

 The mangy door swings open to reveal a bustling bathroom, that is, until Lindsay commands the freshmen girls to scram. They comply, mostly just to kiss arse.

 “What do you want?” I inquire and fold my arms. She hums cheerily to herself as she pulls out a gigantic makeup bag from her tote.

 “Simple,” She says and applies mascara to her perfectly lined eyes. I was not able to apply mascara with such finesse. Mostly I just tried not to poke my eyes out. “You and I both know I want Clayton. And he tells me nothing about you two. So I am warning you nicely to stay away from him.” She says and closes the mascara loudly to add drama.

 I scoff. “You can have him.” No way was I going to stop Clayton from moving on. He had been spending the morning laughing with her after all.

 She raises her eyebrow. “Really?” Her voice actually sounds hopeful.

 “Yeah. But I must ask- why do you want him?”

 It was a good question. Clayton was the brooding bad boy who only had two friends and would rather have one night stands, whereas Lindsay was the socialite cheerleader who liked walks on the beach.

She clears her throat and actually looks upset for once. “We have a history.” She says.

“What do you mean?” Her face turns sour as I ask. She fluffs her hair then turns to look straight at me.

“I just came here to tell you off, not answer your questions Horatio. So can I have him or not?”

Wow someone get this thirsty girl some water. Then again, their ‘history’ sounded serious.

“Do what you want, Al Capone.” I retort. After all, it was very mafia of her to threaten me in a dark cold place. Someone walks into the bathroom unsuspectingly.

She smiles expertly and walks past me. “Thanks, Amelia.” She says as she walks through the door.

“It’s Amia!” I growl.

Maybe Lindsay and Clayton deserved each other.