28.

Ian's P.O.V

I can't even describe how great it feels to be back on the baseball field, in uniform, as part of a team. When I showed up to try outs, everyone look at me doubtfully, like there was no way I was going to be any good or make the cut. As soon as the bat was in my hands though, everything else tuned out and I knocked each pitch to the outfield - the coach was clapping me on the back and welcoming me to the team before the others had a chance to close their dropped mouths. 

Drew has been surprisingly welcoming, I guess he meant what he said to Annie about being happy for us. As a team captain, he's a little harsh, but he's good at his job. Drew takes baseball seriously, and I respect that, he wants us to win and so do I. 

"Great job, Ian! That's what I like to see." Coach shouts from his spot on the field as I complete my turn at bat. It's been a long time since I've done anything other than hit the batting cages, and it feels great to be back in the real game, and to be complimented on my effort. 

I fist bump the next guy in line to bat as I make my way to the dugout. Practice is almost over, so I take off my batting helmet and stuff it into my bag, along with my bat and glove. I pull my phone out of the side pocket on my bag and see that I only have ten minutes left before I get to see Annie - well, maybe I'll need to shower first. 

I still can't believe that everything is back to how it was - maybe even better. Annie seems to have really made some progress and I'm extremely happy for her, as well as proud. I know how badly she was struggling and to see her openly admit that and say she's going to face it and overcome it - I'm in awe of her. 

I send her a quick text to let her know that I'll be at her house shortly when I hear someone running towards me. When I look up I see Fieldan, her face red and her eyes wet. Instantly, my heart drops. Did something happen to her mom? My dad?

"Field, what's wrong?" I sling my bag over my shoulder and walk the short distance to where she had stopped, just outside the field beside the bleachers. 

"Ian, we have to go. We have to go now." She says through her sobbing. She reaches for my hand and starts to pull me but after a few steps I plant my feet on the ground and stop her. 

"Fieldan, what's going on?" She's really starting to freak me out and I can't take another step until I know where we're going and why. I hear coach blow his whistle, signaling that practice is coming to an end, but I keep my eyes on my sister as she tries to calm herself enough to tell me why she's so upset. 

"My...my dad called me...and he said that he...he got called to the scene of a car wreck and...and he said that...that she's...she's...it's bad, Ian." 

I think I stopped breathing as I listened to Fieldan talk. Her words were agonizingly slow as she tried to speak slow and clear, but her heavy breathing and non stop crying was making it difficult. Her dad is a cop, and was called to the scene of a bad car crash, that's what I got from what she said, but I didn't know who she was talking about. 

My body went cold and I continued to hold my breath as I asked, "Who, Fieldan?"

I knew the name she was going to say before her tear filled blue eyes even looked back up at me, "Annie."

Time froze. I couldn't hear the words Fieldan was saying or the noise of my team heading the opposite direction to the locker rooms. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe. "No." It's the only word I could seem to form.

"Ian, we have to go." She seems to have controlled herself a little better, but I don't know how. 

"I just saw her." She was just at her locker a couple of hours ago, she had her arms around my neck and we made plans. I'm supposed to on my way to her house right now, not to the hospital.