The Strange Creature

The figure stepped forward, showing off fur covered shoulders and thick arms and legs.

"A man?" Clari gasped, feeling light headed. She had never seen some as big as this, nor as handsome.

"Yes... But do not be afraid, I will not hurt you." the big man set down his massive bow to prove he was harmless.

Regardless, Clari stepped back staring at the huge black weapon. "You were following me?" She asked, keeping her eyes fixed on the bow.

"Sorry, I was enchanted by the smell. " Wulf explained walking so he was almost beside Clari, he knelt, resting his thick arm on his bent knee casually. Glancing at Clari and tracing her gaze, "You know... if you stare at it long enough it might just move." He said, sounding serious.

Clari finally looked at the big man with bear fur about his shoulders. "Are you saying you want a cookie?"

"That is the idea." He said, standing and turning to the small hooded girl. "They are for my grand mother. You cannot have one." She explained now just staring at his neck, trying not to look at his face. "Oh. Sorry to bother you then." He then stooped down to pick up his bow and turned to leave, walking a short ways. Clari did the same but she didn't stop. Snow crunched behind her as Wulf returned, she rolled her eyes.

set on ignoring him if he asked for a cookie.

"So tell me, what is a little lady like you doing out in the Woods alone?" He asked, puffing along beside her.

"That is none of your concern mister Wulf. Now will you please leave me alone?" Clari said, growing tired of this man.

"I can't help but feel we got off on the wrong foot..." Denver said, his bow swinging at his side as he walked.

"Congratulations. You have officially ruined the peace." Clari grumbled, stepping over a root that was poking above the snow.

"May I please have a cookie?" Denver begged, sounding like a child. "For heaven's sakes, No! " Clari objected, quickening her pace as she trudged along.

"What if I kept you safe from bears?" He pleaded, matching her pace easily.

"Don't be thick. Bears are in hibernation this time of year."

Denver thought a moment then said "what do I have to do to get a cookie?" He asked, leaning uncomfortably close to Clari.

She shoved him away, stopping in her tracks. As did he. Her shove did nothing but tell him she wanted space, he didn't budge a bit.

"If you leave me alone I will give you a cookie." She sighed, reaching under the cloth and grabbing her book, keeping it hidden under the linen.

"Deal." Denver said cheerfully, holding out a gloved hand.

"I will put it in your mouth for you. But, you have to close your eyes. " Clari tempted, clenching her jaw slightly, faking a smile. She was glad her hood was hiding her eyes, he would have seen something was up if it wasn't.

"Sure!" Denver knelt and closed his eyes, opening his mouth.

Clari sighed, pulling the book out and holding it like a weapon. "Ready?"

"Mhmn" Denver nodded, "Okay, ready set-" Clari swung the book quickly at his head hitting him right on the side with a deep thud as the book collided full force. He grunted and crumpled to the ground.

Clari gave a squeak of terror, hopping away from his unconscious body. A second later she was running, stumbling in the snow. She heard grunts as Denver came to, suddenly a branch swooped her hood from her head as she ran beneath it. She looked over her shoulder at the man holding his head as he watched her go.

He had gotten a full view of her face for a moment and then she disappeared into the snowy forest.