Fashion Sense And The Date

"Well, I suppose it'll start raining."

•••

Seattle, 2:30 PM

"Can I pick out a dress for you?"
I raise my eyebrows. "Do you have any fashion sense? Or, any sense?"

He rolls his eyes and searches between the racks of flowy summer dresses. While exploring the city, we came across a vintage clothing store.

I look around at the hats and scarves hanging on the wall. Camry was busy trying on sunglasses and Kara and Mark was trying to make each other laugh. I thought they'd make a cute couple, but unlike my friends, I understand that it's never a good idea to force a relationship. Unless his name is Colby and he's an angel.

I fix my attention onto Colby and the hideous dress he holds in his hands. It was hot pink and had terrible ruffles going down the entire thing.

"I'm not putting that on my body." I laugh. "What? You look great in everything!" Despite his glorious compliment, I refused to try it on. I left empty-handed, and so did everyone else-well, except Camry who was already wearing her sunglasses.

Jack was teasing her for buying them because she was blind as a bat. I couldn't tell if Camry was embarrassed or crushing hard. She's always claimed she didn't like anybody, and never would.

Wow, I really need to stop playing matchmaker.

•••

"Elora, we need to go on a date."

I look up from my comfortable spot on the couch. Colby had suddenly announced a date, and to be honest, I hoped it would take place on the couch.

"I'm serious, Elora. We've only had one!"
Oh, but the couch. "Well, I suppose it'll start raining." I sigh. "I'll go put on my rainboots."

I came out of the bathroom a few minutes later, wearing a nice pair of fresh shorts. "We're going out!" I yell shutting the RV door. Colby was waiting outside.

"Coincidentally, rain is in the forecast."
I shove him and reply, "hope you have an umbrella, I straightened my hair."

We walk for a little bit before stumbling across a milkshake bar. We decided to share a large milkshake and fries.

"Hey, what's the stupidest thing you've done for a crush?" I ask, suddenly.
"I pushed her into a pool." I shout in protest, "we were already dating!"
He replies with a grin, "well, that doesn't mean I stopped crushing on you!"

I wanted him to stop smiling so I kiss him.
"I guess that's not as bad as blowing them off, then apologizing by scaring them out of a tree." Colby's smile turns into a frown. "First of all, that hurt. Second, we were already dating." I frown as well. "It doesn't mean I stopped crushing on you." I whisper.

We stare at each other in silence. He's the first to break it. "I have something for you!"
I groan. "Oh, please tell me it's not that terrible dress!" He scowls, then pulls out a gift bag. "I think you mean wonderful dress, but that's not it."

He gives me the bag, and I open it cautiously. I peek inside, and it's...a boa feather. I laugh. "Do you like it?" I take the feather and tie it around his head like a bow.

"Elora, that's not it's intended purpose."

"Colby, I don't care."

•••

Seattle, 8:30 PM

Colby's warm hands keep me balanced between the windy air. His hands are on my shoulders as I gaze out at the city lights across the bridge.

Behind us, someone sells cotton candy, a few yards away, someone plays the tuba, and all I care about is him. I truly want us to be that couple who made it through high school. I guess it's too soon to know.

"It's getting late. Let's head back."
I kiss his cheek. "Will you carry me?"
"Only because I'm a good boyfriend."

I laugh as he runs across the bridge with me on his back. "Why don't you carry me?" I hear a woman whisper to her husband.
He groans, "you don't ask!"

I couldn't tell if the entire city was annoyed by our endless flirting, or if they were just in a bad mood. I heard someone shout to me, "get away girlie, that mans gonna break your heart in an instant." I'm not sure what they were talking about, but I'm glad Colby didn't hear. Or at least, pretend he didn't hear.

I drag Colby away from all the people to a more secluded place. I can tell he's nervous about something. I push him against the wall before I'm struck with a thought. It was trust.

"Are you okay?" I say. "Perfect."
I kiss him into the night, long and hard. He kissed me back, more fierce than I remember. Almost like he wants something to happen but is afraid to go there.