Chapter 3

Chapter Three

The three Beastkin looked at each other warily as the young man before them collapsed to the ground

The three Beastkin looked at each other warily as the young man before them collapsed to the ground. He had appeared out of nowhere and now he had fainted in front of them.

One of the Beastkin had the ears of a lynx, pitch black with tuffs at the end, his eyes were a deep green like forest leaves. This was the leader of the three, Aslin. The other two also had characteristics of cats, but it was less pronounced.

Aslin's brows furrowed as he stared at the boy. Upon further examination, he noticed that this boy had no shoes on and his feet were covered in blisters. How long had he walked for such big blisters to form? On top of that, his clothes were nothing but rags, barely covering most of his skin.

Was this boy a runaway slave? Aslin thought.

"What do we do?" The smallest man said. His ears resembled a Bobcat, his iris were such a dark brown that they almost looked black. His name was Ivin.

Aslin looked at Ivin with a concentrated look on his face. If the child was a runaway slave and they helped him, they could be killed for aiding in his escape. However, what if the child wasn't and they just left him to die? Where would their morals go if they were to do that?

Unsure of what to do, the three stared at the boy still out on the grass. His breathing seemed even, and besides his feet, he did not seem to be injured. They began to discuss amongst themselves trying to decide what they should do.

In the middle of their deliberation, the sound of footsteps snapped their heads up in the direction opposite of where the boy had come from. This newcomer was an older gentleman, his hair was long, and almost pure white. He had no beast characteristics, but the three snapped to attention, ending their discussion immediately.

Once he got closer, the old man glanced at the three before looking at the body on the ground. His eyebrows rose before stepping forward and kneeling on the ground near the boy. The old man reached out a hand and his eyes narrowed even further. The one thing that caught his eye almost immediately was the boy's hair, it was turning an ashen grey from a dark black at a very noticeable speed.

"Old man Jaelen, what's wrong with the boy? What should we do?" Aslin asked the old man.

Old man Jaelen sighed and tapped the boy once on his chest. Immediately a green glow engulfed the boy, covering him from head to toe. This old man was the town healer and knew almost every disease imaginable. However, when he looked at this boy to determine what was wrong, he found his perception had been blocked and he could not see anything besides what he saw with his eyes. He was now interested in this boy and wanted to ask him questions once he awoke.

"Let's take him back to the village. I'll talk to the clan lord."

"As you wish, Old man Jaelen." The three bowed and Aslin made Ivin help him get the boy on his back. As the three abandoned their mission to catch fish, they all silently sighed with relief. Old man Jaelen was one of the top people within the clan and had been alive for almost two hundred years. Due to his healing abilities, he was almost as important and the clan lord, and even then, the clan lord looked up to Old man Jaelen.