Day 5

I woke up the next morning to Norway crying out.
"Nei! Don't leave me! You can't yust leave me!"
I sat up, for a moment thinking he was talking to me. It was already mid-morning, and Norway sat not far from where I had fallen asleep on the ground, his arms out-stretched and his head tilted upward.
"Nei!" he cried, scrambling to get on his feet. "Nei!"
He tried to stand but slipped, falling forward. And then I saw that his back legs were oddly shaped and his back hunched, forcing him to lean on his arms and walk on all fours.
The transformation was almost complete.
He looked all around, panic on his face. And then I realized that he wasn't talking to me. He was talking to the fairies and trolls.
"My friends, my friends! You can't desert me!" he exclaimed in Norwegian, his long, metal horns glinting in the morning light.
I ran over and knelt beside him, placing my hand on his shoulder.
"Nei... Nei..." he whispered over and over again.

And then he began to cry.

I didn't know what to do. My heart felt like it was being squeezed inside of my chest.
"They left me, all of them!" he wailed, pawing the ground beneath him. "All of them!"
Tears filled my eyes.
"Not me, Norway," I whispered, my voice choked with emotion. "Not me!"
He shook his head and sobbed bitterly. And I cried with him.