Day 6

For the rest of the day he sat silently, staring out into the distance. I fed him once, and afterward he had looked so sick and disgusted, but never spoke. He went right back to sitting silently. That was how we spent the day yesterday.
And it looked like today wouldn't be much different.
I sat next to him, watching the cold, autumn wind rustle the trees and blow the gray clouds across the sky. I tried not to let my thoughts wander, for my mind had become a minefield. I was always a pessimist, and I had recognized that and tried to change, but now even my darkest thoughts only rang true.
There was nothing left to hope for, except maybe a cure.
It was a foolish thing to believe in and something I knew in my heart of hearts I would never actually find. But some part of me still believed that somehow I would be able to find it.
The same part of me that loved Norway, I think.
I looked at him. His back had hunched so much that it had ripped through his shirt, revealing a strong metal back. His feet had turned to hooves just like his hands, and his arms and legs were strangely bent, forcing him to walk on all fours. And then there were his horns- they were huge now, at least two feet long, if not longer. Some metal plating was also forming around his face: on his forehead, down his nose, and around his ears, making it looked like he wore a helmet under his hair.
In other words, he was completely transformed.
I blinked, and stared back out onto the apple orchard. He still had his mind, at least.
Or did he?
I looked back at him. Could sitting here like this be a sign that his mind was being lost to the virus?
"Norway?" I said, anxiously. We locked eyes.
He opened his mouth to speak, but mooed instead. Shaking his head, he tried again.
"You... need... to leave me... now..." he said with much difficulty, snorting and mooing in between phrases.
"Nei," I whispered, shaking my head. "I won't leave you."
I looked up at him and saw he was staring me full in the face. The pupils of his eyes were dilated slightly. He snorted and stood.
"Norway?" I said again, leaning away from him. He slowly moved toward me, but then suddenly his eyes turned back to normal. He blinked multiple times, and then looked around, as if confused. He looked up, and the sweat on his brow glistening in the brilliant autumn sun. He groaned, collapsing into a sitting position.
"Mary, Mary," he moaned, "Jeg vil savne deg! Jeg vil savne deg! Jeg ønsker ikke å gå!"
And then he slowly crawled to me and laid down at my feet. I could only stare. He held so still.
I reached down and petted his hair, not sure what else to say or do.
The virus was taking his mind.

*

I accidentally fell asleep that afternoon, and when I woke up, Norway had tore open the back of my car (literally tore- the trunk's door was completely ripped off the car, leaving the back wide open...) and had eaten more than half of the supplies, but not just the food- the plastic wrappers and containers too.
I stood up, staring at the carnage. I wasn't sure what to feel anymore. He had fallen asleep not far from my car and snorted occasionally.
It wast hard to remember the monstrous metal beast before me was Norway. If anybody saw him now, they wouldn't recognize him.
He was just another Zodiac monster.
I wanted to feel sad. I wanted to feel furious. I wanted to feel something. But all my tears had been cried and all my angry questions left answerless.
I reached up and put my hand on the clip in my hair.
Norway suddenly sat up and I started. He stood on all fours, snorting and grunting. I stared at him in confusion. He roared and charged forward, toward the other end of the open field.
And then, there was a loud twanging sound. I turned, just as an arrow grazed my arm. The arrow landed deep in the ground behind me. I grabbed my arm, but it was only a small scratch. Norway roared again and I looked where he was running. There, on the edge of the orchard, was a Zodiac. It was hiding behind a tree and all I could see of it was it's metal bow it had for an arm.
"Sagittarius," I gasped, slowly walking backwards toward my car.
The Sagittarius aimed for me again, but then hesitated and moved behind a different tree when Norway came up to him. Norway darted into the trees and the Sagittarius moved farther away, but Norway chased it into the woods. I could hear the metal archer begin to snarl, and another arrow came flying from behind the apple trees. I ducked behind my car, peeking over to see what would happen.
I looked up, just to see the Sagittarius running out from behind the trees, aiming straight at me. I screamed and ducked, but then I heard the Sagittarius scream and Norway moo simultaneously.
I heard a bunch of thumps and groans, but I didn't dare look. I shut my eyes and plugged my ears.
There was a loud, long yell, and then silence. I slowly dared to look. I felt like vomiting when I saw the dead Zodiac.
Norway stood victoriously over the Sagittarius, his horns dripping red. There was an arrow stuck in his shoulder, but he didn't even seem to notice as he stared down at what used to be a man.
I stood.
"Norway?" I approached him cautiously, trying to calm my pounding heart.
He turned his head and glared at me.
There was no recognition in his gaze, only an beastly fierceness. He snorted, but didn't do anything except sit down.
I was more confused than ever. He had just killed another Zodiac, what was stopping him from killing me?
I glanced at the Sagittarius, and then it dawned on me. I looked back at the Taurus just as he snorted again.
He was protecting his territory.
I was part of his territory.
"Norway?" I said.
There was no response.
"Norway?" I whimpered.
This time he looked at me. He stood and then ran toward me. I panicked and scrambled backwards, but tripped on my own feet. I fell down on my backside and quickly scooted away from him, but he wasn't looking at me now.
He ran straight to the car; to the last of the food.