seven

Routine.

We must continue it, lest we lose any chance of flushing this murderer out and so, I went back to school the following Monday.

I entered the hallways and I walked towards my locker...and Clara met me halfway.

"Will told me," she said. At least she was talking to me, again.

"Did this guy have anything to do with your...fainting spell the other day?" She whispered.

"What would make you think that?" I said, passing her, continuing on towards my locker.

"Honestly? ...Because you looked like you were having a  wet dream."

"Well, I can assure you, that's not what it was."

"Uh-huh." She definitely wasn't buying it.

"...Of course, I would hope it was about my brother, except.  -Well."

She sighed. "There's a new guy here. Hotter than any guy I've ever seen. I bet he's your Stephen..."

"Mine? No, I really don't want him."

"Then, can I have him?" She said, her eyes widening as Stephen walked down the hallway towards my locker.

It was just as I'd predicted, so many eyes followed him, completely under his spell. His hair had been cut and styled, his clothing slightly rebellious in dark colors.

I rolled my eyes.

"Ibis," he said in greeting. "It's good to see you again."

"I promise, I'm not here for you." he said, as I stubbornly ignored him, going about organizing my things for my classes. "That's just a bonus."

"Both Tess and Sylvia, insisted.  So, you see I had no choice, really. I'm the one who looks young enough to fit in here."

"Sure." I said, watching some of the reactions. Some glaring at me.  Others staring at him. "You're fitting in wonderfully."

"I'm Clara," she said, stepping forward. "-and you're gorgeous."

He looked down at her appraisingly and then back to me.  "Another one of your charges, I presume?"

"Why don't you ask her? She speaks for herself just fine." I made a step to go to class and he side-stepped, blocking me.

"Move." I said, shoving him out of my way.  

I could hear him chuckling behind me.

"I could be her charge, if you'd like." I heard Clara say.

~~~~

He sat next to me in study hall and I could hear the whispers all around.

He leaned in and whispered "They all wish they could be either one of us. You see? We match."

"The only match for you is your own reflection." I said and moved to another chair.

He followed me. "I could reach right in and touch the most private part of you, if I wished."

"You mean that borderline mental-rape, shit you pulled on me, before? Trust me, that's really not endearing you to me." I sarcastically replied.

"You'll come around, -when you realize you can't deal with certain limits of his human-ness."