thirteen

I left him reluctantly that Sunday morning, before dawn.

I was back to myself by then, and truthfully, I was glad. Except for being with Will, I found that I did enjoy the way our kind's state felt.

I was strong. I'd never had a physical care. 

I stood beside his window, my feelings conflicted. I couldn't go back to what we were, before this.

I held myself; a poor replacement for Will's gentle embrace. He crept up behind me and circled his arms around my waist.

"You can't stay longer?" he whispered into my ear.

I let a silence hang between us for awhile, instead of answering. I just couldn't say 'no'.

I stood with Will watching the sky begin it's transition into that familiar blue-black.

As it did, I slipped from his arms and out of his window, soundlessly. I stood on the pebbled sand watching the sections of mist began it's daily convergence in this magical place.

I had never been so confused in my life. Turning Will, possibly even his sister, might save them. My heart told me this was probably true. It would not be an entirely selfish act to make them like us.

Alice was a clever woman. I could see why her people had not recovered her.

I did not light across the landscape like I usually did, but took my time, my thoughts chaotic. Even if he wasn't in danger, I was certain, I would change him after our.  -It was different now. I just couldn't be without him. It was something beyond our usual connection.

Someone was there. Sitting on top of a low rock. There was no absolutely no smell. Anger welled up inside, before I realized it was not Stephen.

Alice sat on a boulder, a serene expression on her face...A long herringbone braid, lay over her shoulder and brushed the top of her right thigh. She wore pajamas with little thin spotted cats all over them. Maus, I assumed. Where in the world did she find that outfit?

 It certainly brought a small level of ridiculousness to the situation.

"Hello, Ibis."

"Hi." I said, quietly.

"My children do not know about me for their own protection, but my husband does. I left him this morning to meet you here. And don't worry, this won't take long.  I'm sure you've guessed, but you have my blessing to turn my son. It is what he wants and, I think you've figured out, it is for his protection, as well. My people by law, cannot harm my children if they are immortal. My husband is somewhat protected. Despite my being a female, he has been with me long enough to have a form of imprint, from me."

"...Did your mother explain what that is?" she asked.

"Yes. What she knew of it." I replied.

"Barbaric practice. Immortals pretend to stand on a higher moral ground than humans, but females being held back from choice is one of many things we have in common," she said, disgustedly.

"It is a sacred bond among my people. A marking males do on females, they are meant to be with.  I could see a slight one on you the other day, child."

My eyes widened in shock.

Of course, she wanted to see if he had, -if he could do that.

"The only reason my father could be with my mother, was because he imprinted her, instead of one of his own.  Human or not, they could not disobey that law for a male.  But he was exiled for it.