ten

It had only been five hours since this whole mess began, but it felt so much later.

We were creeping up on the threshold of having to bring Clara and Will's parents into this.

Will wasn't improving. Clara had joined me in my vigil next to him.

Clara gave me the most disgusted look, she could muster.

"How could you?" she said. "-What are we going to tell my mom and dad?"

"Clara.  You know, I had no choice." She looked away, shaking her head.

"He's not dead and he won't be for a long time and he's not the only one who is affected by that, but there was nothing I could do to prevent it. I feel like dying every time I think about it. I am so sorry."

She looked down. "I know you feel bad and that you couldn't help with him doing this, but it doesn't change anything." She began to cry.

Tess had come in and addressing Clara, she said. "Come on let's get you something to eat." She lead her away.

Stephen gently rapped on the ajar door.

"What do you want."

"He chose this, you know. He was perfectly aware of the fact that chances were he'd either die or end up like this."

"He's a brave kid." he said seriously. "I can see why you like him."

"...Why I love him." I corrected.

He nodded.

If we could cry, I would have. Stephen looked like he wanted to offer comfort, but he knew I wouldn't accept it.

But then things changed...

Will took a breath. Something we don't do.

He was breathing.

I sat forward and took his hand in mine. It was getting warm.

"Tess!" I called out, and she was there, along with Sylvia and Holt.

"This is unprecedented." Sylvia said. "He's healing back into his humanity."

Tess frowned and looked at me, like I was some newly discovered thing.

"You heal."

I laughed, I was so happy. I could definitely feel the heat creeping back into his hand.

Will began to stir. 

"Ibis," he said. He was still pale and groggy but he was definitely, still human.

"You're alive." he said, smiling.

"Because of you." I said and brought his hand to my lips. His blood was so thin I could scarcely sense it's intoxicating power over me. I used that window for all it was worth.

I leaned forward and carefully, kissed him.

After I sat back up, Clara burst into the room.

"Will! Will!" She was so happy to see him awake and looking like himself she wrenched him up into a hug, much to his great discomfort.

That neck-wound I'd given him was still a painful-looking mottled bruise-color. It looked like a glorified hickey with bite marks.

He groaned at having to move it.

"I'm sorry, Ibis." she said.

I shook my head. "I'd have done the same. We're still copacetic."

She shook her head back in affirmation.