Chapter one

Dakota anxiously walked down the hallways of Bridgeway Middle School for the first time. Everyone looked at her. Everyone gave her dirty looks and whispered rude comments to eachother about her hair, her clothes and her overall look. She was a short, skinny girl with hazel colored eyes and dark brown hair. As she heard the comments and the laughing, she

walked faster and faster, her eyes looking at the ground. She walked without paying any attention to anyone or anything and then she walked right into someone, causing her to drop her books. She slowly looked up, and found herself gazing right at a boys bright blue eyes. The boy looked back into her eyes and said " Hi, I'm Matthew. I haven't seen you around here lately, are you new?" Dakota mumbled under her breath " Yes I'm new here and this is my first day, it's not going too well either." Matthew took the piece of paper out of her hand and stated " Mr. Brooks class, I can take you there. He's my teacher too." She looked at him and smiled, revealing her braces. "Thank you. That'd be nice." Matthew quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her towards room 209, Mr. Brooks room.

It was about noon, and the lunch bell rang. Dakota got up from her seat and walked to the cafeteria. She looked around for an open table but every place she went, the table said " Find somewhere else to sit, loser." Finally she just decided to go in the bathroom stall and sit until lunch was over. When she heard the bell for the ending of lunchtime, she opened the stall door and paced out of the bathroom and up the stairs. She found her seat and grabbed her books and walked across the hall to Mrs. Sandra's room for math class. She found an open seat in the back of the classroom and sat. She saw Matthew walk in the room. He started walking towards her and asked her " Is this seat taken?" Dakota shook her head. As Matthew sat down, a tall blonde walked by and purposely knocked over Dakotas water bottle and snickered " Oops, my bad." She giggled and sat down behind Matthew. Dakotas eyes widened as she saw that her water spilled all over her journal that included all her drawings. She picked up her journal and water ran off of it. She opened it and breathed heavily " They're ruined!" Quickly, she walked to the trash can and placed her journal in it. It was finally 2:30 and time to go home. As Dakota was gathering up her belongings, Matthew walked over and nervously said " Here's my number, text me sometime. We should hang out." She smiled and slipped through the crowd of students.