What the Hell

I take a step back from the man towering over me.

"You say there is a shape shifter, that's taken your shape? Last I checked you are a shape shifter."

" I and this other monster are as similar as fire and ice. It's soul purpose in life is to take and destroy lives by transforming into the thing it desires to be, I use my intellect and sorcery skills to create an advantage for myself in battle."

Loki pauses to looks at his hands.

" I have done horrible things, but I am nothing if not sorry for all that I have caused to my family, Asgard, Midgard and to you personally. I feel your hatred directed towards me, and know of your many fantasies in which you slit my throat or run my through with a blade, but as hungry as I was for power. I am even hungrier for forgiveness."

My glare is still focused on him. He stands inhumanly still as he stared back with a softer expression. His features seem less threatening than my previous encounter with whatever the hell that was earlier.

" You said I can't trust you, what do you mean?"

"If we were to try and find a safe place I could leave for only a moment and the shape shifter could easily come and convince you it was me."

"Then how do I know you, the one I'm standing in front of, is the real Loki?" I ask.

" I'm slightly colder than a human, touch me." He raises his hand to me and I hesitantly take it in my own hand.

It was noticeably colder, I suddenly remember when I was in the apartment, Loki got extremely close to my face and I could feel the heat coming off of his body.

" I think I understand now."

I drop his hand and look up at his face.

"I'll help you, if you're actually talking to me come to that little pizza place three blocks from SHIELD tomorrow around noon. I suggest a disguise so come up and say..." I pause and think for a moment. " do you want to go to the bookstore?"

Loki looks at me with a questioning glance.

"A bookstore?"

" It doesn't matter just say it. Now let me sleep in peace."

He gives me a quick nod and everything vanishes, my next memory is waking up on Tony's couch with a headache and a lingering chill on my fingertips.