The She Wolf - chpt. 3

The She Wolf

Chapter three

            As soon as we were out of the cafeteria, Alex dropped my hand. My whole body went cold as soon as we were disconnected. He strode ahead of me and I followed, mesmerized by his swift movements. I wasn't even sure where he was leading us to; I just knew that I would follow.

            "We're going off campus?" I asked as we strode off of school property. Alex turned around and raised an eyebrow, his blue eyes sparkling.

            "Isn't that obvious?" I opened and closed my mouth, unable to speak. I just kept walking. After five more minutes I decided to speed up the pace and ran up beside Alex. It was hard staying in stride with him seeing as his legs were a lot longer than mine.

            "Where are we going exactly?"

            "Out for lunch," he answered nonchalantly.

            "Why?"

            He rolled his eyes, "Because it's what I'm supposed to do." The way he made it sound like taking me out was a chore hurt my feelings. I stayed silent as we walked. Finally, we came to the only decent diner in town and took our seats. I opted for a window seat so I'd have somewhere to look if things got awkward.

            "Were not going to make it back in time for third," I noted.

            Alex just shrugged, "It's just school." We ordered and then sat in a stony silence for a solid five minutes.

            "So, do you like it here?" I asked, trying to break the mounting silence.

            Alex looked the other way as he answered, "It's alright." It was becoming increasingly obvious that he was avoiding looking at me. Whenever I would speak he would look down before he replied. I was starting to grow frustrated.

            "Do you miss Maine?" I asked.

            Alex looked down at his food, "Kind of."

            I sighed, "I don't really understand why you decided to whisk me off campus," I said bluntly. "It makes no sense."

            Alex looked out the window, "Things are complicated and I decided that it would be best if I cleared something up with you and didn't want to do it in front of the others."

            I felt my stomach knot, "What has to be cleared up?"

            He looked down, "Remember when I helped you pick up all of your things?" I felt my palms moisten. He was referring to when time stopped and everything clicked. That magical moment when I met his eyes. The same moment that had been replaying in my mind since it happened.

            "Yeah," I squeaked.

            "Do you feel sparks when I hold your hand?"

            I swallowed, "Yes."

            "Ignore it," his voice was like ice.

            I frowned, "What?"

            "Forget about that moment, ignore the sparks, forget about me."

            I stared at him, wishing more than anything he would look at me, "I can't."

            He stiffened, "Tally," his voice was weak and strangled. "Forget it all."