Once upon a dream

We walk down a path that our eyes choose for us. Guiding ourselves through selfishness.

I gasped as I jumped out of my bed. I felt like I'd been holding my breath for hours. I'd woken up from the same dream as before: the one where I met Santiago, my little brother, for the first time. Ever since that plane ride, I'd been having it. I never even thought about Santiago before, and now I can't stop dreaming about him. Last time I saw him was my mom's court date, when he was less than a month old. I don't know what he looks like, his birthday, where he lives, anything!

I glance at my clock. 5:59. It could go off at any second now.

I get up out of bed and, just as I expected, he alarm went off. I groaned in anger and snatched the cord out of the wall, accidentally knocking over the lamp and pulling out the socket and wires. I groaned louder his time. "Why me?!"

I bent down to clean the mess when something caught my eye. "Gracie...Gracie!"

"It's way to early for this. Why did yo-" She abrubtly stopped looking at the wall.

"I think I found a spy device. I had that dream again." I said and her eyes widened

"Babe, are you okay? I thought they stopped." Gracie said puzzled. She loved me more than anyone and, her, of all people, knew something was wrong, something far beyond this dream. I couldn't tell her, but I've been using this dream as an excuse, so she wouldn't pressure me.

"Well, they didn't. But, I was mad, and the alarm was just ringing and ringing, so I yanked the alarm cord and...this!" I said in one breath.

"Wait, you lied." I didn't expect Gracie to do that, but now I was exposed. "You did. You said the dreams stopped and everything was fine. Hidey, we are supposed to be in this together. Not just Hidey trying to fight her battles alone!"

"Maybe I don't need your help." I huffed, holding back my tears, to keep an emotionless face on. "I don't need you to fight my battles. They are mine to fight! And don't act like you haven't done the same thing! What about you tutoring Jace, huh? Were you ever gonna tell me, or just hide that too? And, let's not mention, the time where you decided that you wanted to fight Lissa, in front of the whole school."

"Those times were different, Hide. I am a good friend, and I care for you, so excuse me if I'm worried that one day I'll wake up and you'll be gone. Not because you left, but because you killed yourself. To be honest, I know you better than anyone, and this is not you, Hidey. You are not the person to snatch a cord out of the wall because of a dream. You, don't just decide to stand on the rooftop for no reason. I was there the first time, and the second, but I can't watch you eat at yourself again until you take everything you have and destroy it. I'm sorry if I don't want my best friend to die, and everyone looks and me and says: 'You're her best friend, why didn't you try to stop her?'" She stops and falls to the ground. A tear dropped from my eye as I watched my best friend sob on the floor. This is sad. Now, what do I do?

"Grace, te amo y te necesito más que a nada. Necesito que seas mi amigo, no mi enemigo. Eres la única familia que me queda, y no puedo perderte también. Por favor, listen. Gracie!" I fall on the floor beside her, my eyes bloodshot from crying, and face red. "I can't lose, my best friend." I know it sounds cliché, but she has been there all my life. She was all I had.

"No, chica, this is a bomb. Whoever made these, has a remote to blow this place. If it emits a strong enough signal, we could hack it." She said through a series of sniffles. "Look. I am gonna do ALOT of stupid stuff, but I would never let my best friend hurt herself. I know, it sounds selfish, but I am selfish when it comes to you." She reaches her arms out. "Luvvy?"