10✯

Edge of Dreams

"Mummy? There's somebody here," I say staring at the other woman in the bushes.

"There's nobody here for miles. Don't be silly," my mother says distracted.

I see the woman lift up a camera and I continue to stare as she clicks the camera.

"She's taking a picture of us," I say moving to hide. My mother turns to look but the woman has gone.

"Are you sure it wasn't just a dream?"

"No I woke up today."

"Okay. Let's go see if she's there then." She holds my hands and walks me over to the bushes I point out. "See? Nobody here." We walk around behind them.

There are footprints in the mud.

✭✭✭

I feel the itch on my hands, and it takes a lot of restraint not to shift the bandages. The injuries I had done to my hands were severe, but I can't feel the pain of them. The worst part was when they had to clean the wounds, and it burned like acid was being dripped onto my skin.

A hand is placed down on my shoulder. I flinch. I can only take deep breaths to calm myself down.

Ms Hawk walks around the surgical table. I'm in a room similar to the one I had first woken up in. Brain scans cover a wall, and I know what they all show. Fear.

"Do you understand why unacceptable behaviour is to be punished?"

"Yes Miss," I reply monotonously.

"We only try to give you all the best life possible, considering the circumstances. So it is only fair that in exchange you follow our simple rules. Don't you think that's fair?"

"Yes Miss,"

"We expect great things from you Miss Fletcher, and we don't want these kind of mishaps to ruin your progress now, would we?"

"No Miss," It's easy to just simply agree with everything she says. No matter how condescending she is being.

"Is there anything you would like to share? Anything regarding your friends?" I hesitate, presuming she is talking about Aaron, Taylor and the blonde boy. "Because everything you say is completely confidential, of course."

Her beady eyes are deadly as she focuses on me, and though there is the fear of being punished for not sharing, I resist. "I understand, but there is not Miss. Thank you for your concern." I'm not sure whether it comes out as sincere, rather than sarcastic.

Ms Hawk purses her lips, before giving an ineffective comforting smile, "Of course. You better be on your way now, we can't have you missing a meal."

I don't comment on the fact that I have already missed lunch today, the growling of my stomach is evidence enough. Ungracefully, I jump off the table, ignoring Ms Hawk's disappointing gaze. She guides me all the way to the cafeteria, whilst I try to ignore the sniggers from the people we walk past. She even goes as far as going into the cafeteria, making everyone stand for her, before essentially jumping the queue with me still following her.

The look on everyone's faces as we go to the front, is laughable. Ms Hawk nods her head towards the keypad and identity pad. I awkwardly type and scan, wondering what the fuck is going on. The cafeteria is still silent with Ms Hawk in the room.

"There's been a change to Miss Fletcher's meal, I hope they received my message," Ms Hawk formally says to the man behind the station.

"Of course Ms Evanue," the usually silent smiling man responds.