Coffee Shop Love

Briella stared up at the cafe sign, shifting from foot to foot as unease swept through her. Was he going to be there today? Was she going to stay if he was?

All these questions ran through her head as she debated going through the door.

He'd been cold at school, barely talking and barely showing up.

She shouldn't have cared as much as she did. But she was worried and wanted to help even if she didn't know what was going on.

Pushing open the door and stepping inside, Briella's eyes immediately found him sitting at a corner booth. Her regular corner booth. His eyes flickered up to meet hers, seeming to brighten as she walked to the counter to order.

"One black coffee, please."

Another switch up. Another change. Something needed.

"Two seventy-one."

As Briella handed her money to the lady working the counter, she shifted her balance from foot to foot, waiting for her coffee. She was stressed. And a black plain coffee would help.

Briella gratefully accepted the coffee from the barista's outstretched hand, glancing around the small cafe. Keegan was already looking at her, and waved her over.

Was this wise? She debated a moment before she made her feet move to slide into the seat across from him.

He had papers scattered in front of him and a half eaten muffin cast to the side.

"Hey, Bri."

Her cheeks reddened at the sudden nickname. "Hello, Keegan." She glanced at the papers. "How's sociology coming along?"

He shook his head, was tilting. "It's coming. Mr. Murray extended the deadline on the project since I have family things going on."

She nodded. "How fortunate for you."

Briella took a sip of her coffee, eyes flickering around the cafe so she wouldn't be caught staring at him.

"I see you've changed your order again, Miss Routine."

"Needed something to relieve my stress."

He nodded. "Fair enough."

This was getting awkward. She was awkward. She needed to leave and not worry about him and why he needed an extension and why now of all days to come and be here when she was accepting not seeing him.

Briella stood up, coffee gripped in her hand tightly. "It was nice for the chit chat. I'll see you later Keegan."

As she started walking away, he grabbed at her hand, pulling her back. "You too, Briella. And don't be a stranger and text me."

He seemed almost desperate as he released her hand, pleading with her. Briella didn't answer, instead turning around to walk out the door.