Chapter 8: Two Chairs for the Two Starks

I stare at Tony blankly. My face is on t.v. and it's weird for me to see that. I don't know what to say or how to react to this. Tony messages the front of his forehead. "Tony I have a few suggestions" Pepper walks over and sits across from him. He looks up and waits for her to continue. I take this time to sit on the other end of the couch from Tony. "We have to approach this head on, Tony. The sooner we get this into the media, the less harassment from paparazzi. I think we should call a press conference to talk about this. They get questions in and things could be cleared up. We don't want this problem clouding the Expo and Stark Tower reveals" Pepper explains. I didn't see this as such a problem but they obviously do. I just wait for Tony to answer.

        "She's going to have to speak right?" Tony asks. I sit up and turn to Pepper.

        "I'm afraid so. They're going to want to hear your experience as Tony's kid. I mean it's-" Pepper begins to explain to me.

        "It's Tony Stark. Yeah, I got it" I say. I can't just be exposed like that. This is not what I signed up for. I understand that I'm Tony Stark's kid and all but seriously? 

        "How do you feel about that?" Pepper asks me. Tony turns to me, probably see what I'd say.

        "I don't know. If it will stop that ambush stuff, then I'll do it. Tony?" I respond. Tony squints his eyes at me. 

        "I don't like it, but it looks like they're getting rowdy," Tony says. He gives a small nod to Pepper and she walks off in a rush. "There she goes" Tony comments. I slouch down into the couch, in my spot. "I'm sorry". I look over at Tony. Why is he apologizing?

        "For?" I ask. He stands up.

        "I wasn't there to help. I left you alone with the intern" He says. He continues to walk to his garage. 

        "Honestly, I think it would have made it worse" I reply. He smiles, "And if I didn't know any better, you're not going down there to work on your cars". Tony smirks and walks downstairs. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         I lie on the couch, waiting for Tony to return from work for we can eat dinner. I flip through channels till I fall on one that has Tony being ambushed by paparazzi's today, not too long ago. 

        "Tony Stark was spotted today, arguing with paparazzi over the alleged daughter rumors. Let's let Tony answer them for himself" the woman says before it cuts off to a video. 

        "Tony! Is she your daughter or a girl claiming to be your daughter!? Maybe a gold digger?!" an annoying grotesque pap says. Tony looks enraged. The only other time I've seen him that way was when he found me in the garage. 

        "You listen here, shithead! She is my daughter! Don't you dare talk about her like that!" Tony yells. Then Happy comes up behind him before Tony gets physical with anyone. I hear Pepper gasp behind me. I turn around to see her shocked expression.

        "That's why he isn't home yet. He's going to be in bug trouble" Pepper paces. "We are setting up that press conference". In that moment, the front door opens and Friday greets Tony and Happy. 

        "I know what you're going to say Pepper, but-" Tony begins to say. But Pepper cuts him off. 

        "Press conference, tomorrow," Pepper says firmly. Tony looks over to me and gives me a sad smile and then walks off. Like if he was sorry that he claimed me as his daughter. But honestly, I felt pretty happy about it.