Chapter 10: Roof Top

I take the fire escape staircase to the very top of Stark Industries. I force the rooftop door open and the breeze hits my face. I walk over to the edge of the building, holding onto the waist-high barrier that keeps me from going over. I spot the ant-sized photographers. I sit on the ground with my back against the barrier. I don't care much for the outfit or the shoes. Right now I just need my mom. 

        I fight myself to hold back the tears.This is no place to cry and not the right time. I bury my face in my knees and just sit. Why can't things be easier? Why couldn't my mother just have chosen someone else to have a kid with? Why did it have to be Tony? I would have settled for a hick in Alabama. 

        The metal door to the staircase bursts open. Brandon steps out. I'm glad it isn't Tony because we would have probably kept arguing. Although, I wish no one followed me.

        "Hey, you're freaking everyone out. They're all looking for you" Brandon says squinting his eyes because of the sun. "Let's go back inside and tell everyone you're okay".

        "But I'm not. I'm not okay. Tony-he thinks he can say whatever he wants and think that feelings don't get hurt. That's bullshit" I say angrily, not aimed toward Brandon. Brandon walks over and sits next to me. "What are you doing?" I ask.

        "Well, if you're going to stay up here, I'm not going to leave you alone" He grins from ear to ear. I smile slightly. 

        "Oh so now you're going to be a gentleman?" I smile.

        "I'm always a gentleman" Brandon smirks. Then he rests his hand on top of mine and clutches it. "Come on, I know you don't want too, but if they found out I found you and didn't say anything, I'd lose my job." Good to know he only cares for his job...

_____________________

        We make our way down the steps to the floor that Pepper's office is on. We step into a hallway and I see security running down a horizontal hallway. Then Brandon says into my ear, "I told you that they were looking for you". I follow Brandon into Pepper's office. Everyone is on their phones and panicked. "I found her," Brandon says loud enough for everyone to hear him. Simultaneously, Pepper and Tony turn to look at me. Tony looks pissed off and relieved and Pepper's face flushes out her panicked state.

I walk up to Tony and cross my arms and say, "I did all I could to cover up you ass. Maybe you should tell everyone what's going on in your basement rather than try to blame me, huh? Wanna share with the everyone dad".