The Definderman

CHAPTER 4: The Stream

In the morning James was awoken by Zack yelling out his name in the distance. Zack slowly awoken and climbed out of his tent. The schoolyard was filled with thick fog. The fog was so thick and dense you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. James reached in to his tent an pulled out the camera and turned it on. Looking around with the thermal mode he eventually found his way to the van and got in the driver's seat and started the van.

"Well that works.", James said proudly before stepping out. With the zip of his jeans he was releasing himself. Behind him the fog slowly spiraled up to James's height and beyond.

"Z, z, z." ,called a chilling little girls voice from behind.

James stood frozen as he felt the frozen chill of fear running up his back. With a quick zip of his pants he turned around ready for a fight. But nothing was there, just the thick fog.

"Holy shit." ,spoke James shivering as he retrieved the camera from in the van and turned it back on.

"J!" ,rang through the fog.

James turned towards the sound, "Zack! Bud! Where are you!"

"Here!" ,replied Zack in the not to far distance.

"Where!" ,shouted James again.

"Here." ,Zack said right beside James.

James bent over, "That was not cool man. Not cool."

"J, check out this book."

The book was old mangled by time and nature. The book was that of a child's, made of heavy construction paper, and the insides were white paper. Some were drawn on in crayon depicting a boy playing ball in the yard. Others of the boy being sad or getting yelled at and punished excessively.

"How sad." ,said Zack in a quiet voice.

"How sad." ,called a voice.

James turned around to the sound to see yet again nothing.

"Okay wait, wow. Z your not doing this are you?" ,asked James in a startled tone.

Zack was still looking at the pages of the book, "J, check this out."

James came over to Zack with the camera on and looked at the book. On two pages was a crude map to the far left was the school and yard. In the middle of the right page was a drawing of trees in white crayon. In the middle separating the two pages was blue crayon for a stream.

"Okay, as soon as this fog goes away we'll explore and you may get your chance to fish." ,James said as he pointed the camera at Zack. The fog disappeared finally around 11:43 and the two had taken with them the equipment and a cooler and trekked out towards the stream according to the map. They walked for what seemed hours through the oaks young and old until finally they came upon the stream. The stream was at least 14, 15 foot wide and you could see the stoney bottom through the clear water. No sooner had they put the cooler and equipment down Zack quickly went off to make a cane pole and broke apart old logs in search of bait. He had found a big fat white grub just under a decomposing log. With fixed attention and care he pierced the grub on the hook just right so if any fish took the bait it also got the hook. Zack scampered off and found a spot right next to the stream to sit and wet his line.

"Oh, don't worry! I'll get everything unpacked, you just have fun fishing!"

Zack looked back at James angrily, "Shh."

"Well, pardon me sir." ,James said to himself with a smile. Minutes passed with no words spoken or sound made until James chucked in a netted bunch of bottled drinks into the shaded waters of the stream.