The Definderman

CHAPTER 2: Setup

Hours later and the sun was down James sat in his LazyBoy recliner watching a WWE match between Batista and Brock Lesnar when a heavy knocking came from the door.

"Hang on!", yelled James as he got out of the chair to be distracted by the match starting. Two rapid knocks then a third and a fourth.

"Hold your damn horses! I'm already! Damn." ,he said as he stepped over his XBox controller. James reached the door unlocked it and opened it to Zack.

"Hey Zack, where have you been?" ,said James with a smile.

"28 miles, J."

"Well you sure took your time." ,said James before walking into the kitchen neighboring the front door to the right.

"28 miles." ,he said again.

James stepped front of Zack holding a beer in each hand, "Come in, have a beer."

"28, damn! Miles J." ,Zack said as he stepped in and shut and locked the door then proceeded to follow James.

"Sofas clean.", said James as he handed Zack a bottle. Zack took the beer and sat down on the sofa with a thump. James drank his down quickly, "Mmm that's good."

Zack popped the metal top off and took a quick swig only to sit it back up.

"Hey man! What the fuck?" ,James said as he turned in his chair to look back.

"I thought you said it was beer."

"Yeah, Root Beer. You know I don't drink."

Zack nodded his head and took another swig, keeping it down this time. The two watched the television all night, at some point they both feel asleep.

In the morning Zack stood over James as he ate a spoonful of Crunch Berry cereal. James opened his eyes slowly to see the tall man with a bowl in his hand as he munched spoonful after spoonful.

Slowly James blinked his eyes awake, "Zack, what are you doing?"

"Eating." ,he replied through a mouthful.

"Yes, but why over me?"

Zack shrugged his shoulders,"I don't know."

Slowly James sat up in the recliner and stubbled along the wall to the bathroom. Zack slowly sat down at the edge of the seat of the recliner.

A few minutes passed before James slowly walked down the hallway to see Zack watching Looney Toons. James sneaked his way towards his friend.

"Coyote, you knows you'll never catch that bird." ,he said laughing as he chewed on a little cereal. James stood behind Zack and waited for the perfect.

"Go! Go! Get that bird!" ,yelled James as he pounded on the recliner.

Zack spilled the bowl of milk and a couple pieces of cereal all over the front of himself.

"Jesu...", Zack stood up flayed the bowl and spoon as he turned around to James, "What the Hell! You got milk all over me."

James smiled, "No, you did you moose." ,said as he patted Zack on the shoulder, "Come on, we have a monster to capture on film."

"I hope it's not your mother." ,Zack said quietly a he chuckled to himself.

A couple hours after packing the van full of equipment, a couple of large coolers and papers. It was a warm late Spring day Zack swept the sweat from his brow with the sleeve of his shirt. James walked out with two brand new Coleman single tents and put them in the van.

"Well that's all."

"Not yet." ,Zack ran in to the house and came back with a spool of fishing line, box of hooks and a box of weights.

"Zack."

Zack had the passenger door open and was ready to hop in.

"Yeah J.", he said as he paused.

"Just get in." ,James said as he shook his head and closed the sliding door. As he walked around the front of the van to the driver's door and too got in.

"Where are we going J?" ,he asked as he stashed the fishing equipment along side of the seat near the door.

James started the van, "It doesn't matter."

"But I thought you and I were..." ,replied Zack as he thumbed towards the stuff in the back.

James cut in, "We are Z, but it does not matter because he is not real."

"And you're on E."

"Yes and I'm on, What!"

"E, the letter before F and after D."

James gripped the steering wheel tight then slowly released it.

''Fine, to the gas station. Then! We find somewhere to film." ,James said with a grin.

"J, you're very stressed out. J, I think you should see a doctor. J do you have high blood pressure? Cuz that would be bad J. J are you listening to me?"

James sat in the driver's seat eye twitching and nose flared. He jerked the van over quickly causing Zack to hit his head.

"Zack are you okay, did you see that pothole? Oh I'm so sorry man."

Zack rubbed his head, "It wasn't their last night."

"Hu, must have been to dark for you to see it. you really should get glasses."

They barely pulled in to the local gas station and filled the tank.

"Zack, you stay. I'll go pay, okay."

''Okay J." ,he replied as he took a bottle from the cooler behind him.

James had just reached the door when Zack yelled, "Beer a real beer, you're awesome J!"

''Yeah I am awesome." ,whispered James to himself as he pushed the door in and a bell rang.

"James, headed to film a monster eh." ,said the old short white haired man with dress cloths on.

"Sure am Mr. H", James replied kindly.

The hunched over Mr. H pressed a couple of buttons on the register and it chimed. "Your total is $84.23"

"Alright sir." ,James took out his wallet and thumbed thru and looked up to the old man, "Mr. H, I thought I had more but all I've got on me is $67. I'll head back home for the rest I..."

Mr. H raised his hand, "It's okay son, consider it a donation to your film.''

"Are you sure Mr. H? I can go home." ,said James with a dumb found look on his face.

"No no, it's perfectly fine,'' ,Mr. H leaned over the counter and waved James towards him. James leaned in to listen, "As long as the misses doesn't hear about this.'' , Mr. H punched James in the shoulder and laughed. James walked to the door and pushed the door open waved to Mr. H and went to the and got in the driver's seat. Zack had drank three bottles already and was sleeping in the passenger seat.