The Definderman

CHAPTER 5: The Children.

Zack slowly got out of the van as he looked at his camera screen.

"J, it's just us.", said Zack as he went to James's side and handed the camera to him. James took the camera and watched the video. No giant, no trees moaning, groaning or bending. Not even the boy was in the film.

James took his camera and stormed towards the school and took pictures of the school.

James stopped, "Oh my God." , he dropped the camera and went to the sign and began pulling off moss and overgrowth. Revealing a bronze sign hooked in the that read,"School for the Retarded 1880."

Zack fallowed behind as James broke down the door to get in the school. The inside was clean spotless and looked brand new. The wood floor looked as if it had just been polished. The red brick wall looked freshly mortared, the check in desk was spotless.

"My god, what have we walked into Z? "Z?" ,said James in wonder as he turned to look back for Zack. James found Zack sitting in a room full of toys. The toys were new old, really old and some were even foreign.

"Zack," ,James chuckled as he walked in to see Zack playing with an imaginary friend.

"James, this is Emily." ,Zack said as he turned to look back at James.

James walked up to Zack and squatted beside his friend, "Bud no ones their."

"What do you mean, shes's, right, there." ,Zack replied in a confused manner.

James helped him up on his feet and the two follow the signs marked on the wall to the main office. They had reached the wood counter with protective glass. Behind that were slots for mail, only one had a letter in it, 13B. Something inside Zack called to him to come and get the letter. Zack's face turned red and flexed in anger as he punched the glass repeatedly until it broke and shattered.

"Jesus Zack! What the fuck man!", Zack slid over the counter and retrieved the letter. Zack walked cooly like nothing happened out the wood door and stood beside James.

"I got it." ,laughed Zack as he waved the letter in his bloody hand.

James watched the letter slap in his face, "Cool, what does it say."

Zack laughed as he tore off the end of the envelop and pulled out the letter. He carefully opened the letter and read to himself.

"Well?"

"Nothing." , Zack replied.

James reached to take the letter but Zack pulled back and ate the letter.

"What the heck man." ,James yelled.

"I told you, not to mind."

"Okay, okay." ,replied James.

A thumping sound like a boot step came from the doors to the school. James and Zack looked to see nothing with their bare eyes. James padded himself quickly in search of his camera.

"Damn."

The noise stopped and James froze looking towards the doors. A herd of scampering children's feet ran past them and down the hall. The two men ran towards the sound and came to a section that had hundreds of rooms. Each room had nice comfy beds, desks, a bedside lamp, and straw bladed fan.

"Wow, this was a nice school." ,said James in amazement.

"No it wasn't." ,said a little blonde girl in a white Sunday dress.

James jumped, startled.

"Emily?" ,spoke Zack.

The little girl smiled, "Daddy made this place like this for me and the others." ,the sweet little girl said as she reached up and took Zack's hand.

"Daddy?" ,asked James to himself, he ran up beside the two, "Eee, Emily? Where is Daddy now?"

The little girl didn't acknowledge him as the three of them walked past finger paintings on the wall but she did reply, "Daddy is out checking on all the other children. We are lucky to have a daddy like him."

"How you get here Emily?" ,asked Zack as he looked down on the little girl.

She looked up smiling at Zack, "We were chosen, we're outcastes in our mommy and daddies eyes," ,the girl had lead them to a large television room filled with children of different nationalities laying down and watching Looney Toons, "Daddy will be coming shortly, stay with us Zack he'll like you." ,she whispered softly.

"Wow, wow. No, Z is coming with me," ,James took Zack by the sleeve, "Zack come on bud."

Zack shrugged off James, "No. I'll stay here."

All the children laying down looked back towards the men.

James backed away, "But Zack, our film."

Zack looked at all the children around him now as the stood around like a sea of gleaming faces.

"I like it here." ,said Zack with a smile.

"You stupid, fucking, dumb ass moose. Come on let's go!" ,yelled James.

One of the children began to cry, then a thunderous boom came from the front door. James looked towards the sound, "Z I didn't mean it come on let's go."

"No, I like it here."

The door pounded again, James's began shaking in anticipation to run like he'd never run before. The girl had a hold on him, then that same small boy took hold of Zack's other hand. James ran towards another door that lead to what was surly the schoolyard. James just went out the door as the doors flew open in a thunderous boom. In between the open doors stood a figure that stood at least eight foot tall. It was like a mini version of the giant. James looked into the room through a window. The figure took a couple steps then it faded like static on the TV and appeared before Zack. Zack looked up to this slim white dressed man and faceless man. The white faceless man slowly placed his hands on Zack's face. James could see the little girl speaking to him and then the boy. The faceless man turned his head acknowledged them, James decided this was the time to act, he was going to help his friend or die trying.