Final Reset

You watched the sunrise one more time. You have no idea how many times you have freed the monsters by now but it has been a lot. All the monsters are happy. Well, except one. Sans's permanent smile is strained. He doesn't have a true smile anymore.

Has he ever?

You know Sans has one. You saw it when you met him the first time. The way he acts towards his brother. It may be empty now but he still had a true smile back then. You remember him looking up at the Sun and looking at the Surface during the first Pacifist timeline. You remember his smile at the stars. You miss that true smile.

That true smile won't come back by dwelling on the past.

You know but...urgh. Nothing's perfect. Life just doesn't work that way. No matter what, you can't save Asriel. You reset and reset over and over to try and save him. It never worked. Now though, he agreed that he might come. That's a win for you. For now, however, you are determined to protect what you have.

Knowing that you have a chance to save everyone and live your life with them. It fills you with DETERMINATION.

You pull on your mom's sleeve.

"Yes, my child," Toriel says, stopping and turning to look at you.

You ask to return to the Underground. You say you made a promise to visit a friend.

"Someone remained down there? Alright, my child. Be safe. Will Sans be accompanying you?" Toriel asks.

You nod and tell her you will make sure to call her. Mom smiles at you fondly. You walk over to Sans. He's asleep on the couch. You hate that no matter how many naps he has, his eyes still keep their bags. You don't like to wake him but you promised to visit. You, Mom, Sans and Papyrus all live together at your insistence. Mom is your mom. Sans helps with the nightmares. Papyrus keeps your spirits up.

You really love them.

Of course you do. Hopefully, you may get another member of your family soon. You prod Sans. He doesn't move. You start prodding Sans insistently. He doesn't move but sniggers.

Oh, it's on.

You shake Sans roughly and whine 'Saaaaannnnss'. He continues to snigger. You jump on Sans and sit on his belly. You fix your sternest face and stare at Sans. You can't hold in your laughter for more than a few seconds. Luckily, Sans faces a similar issue.

"ok, ok kiddo. what's up? well, other than the ceiling," Sans says once he catches his breath? and does his signature wink.

You grin at the pun and tell Sans you want to go to the Underground. Sans freezes.

Understandable.

You are quick to reassure him of your intentions. You tell him you want to try to convince your friend to come to the Surface. If he won't, you don't mind but you want to give him some company.

"heh, alright kid. you really are determined to help everyone," Sans says, ruffling your hair.

You reply with a determined smile. He knows that look all too well. Sans offers you his hand which you take gratefully. He leads you out the door and you end up at the entrance to the Underground. The place you first watched the sunset with your monster friends -no, family- and the most important place to you. You smile at Sans and see that grin. The one that only exists because he can't move his mouth. You frown. He's like this because of you, right?

Take him with you to reassure him.

You're not sure. How would As -no Flowey- react?

If it is for Sans, he won't mind.