Simple isn't always Easy

Urghhhhhhhh! You've been waiting foreveeeeerrrrr!

"Now, my child, patience is a virtue."

"No its boring!"

You agree with Flowey.

"Yes but we have no choice but to wait, little ones. Undyne isn't back yet and this Lucida is still knocked out," Asgore said, resting a hand on your shoulder.

You look away to try and hide the tears hidden in your eyes. It's your fault! You shouldn't have made Sans come with you.

"DON'T WORRY HUMAN. I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, CAN WAKE LUCIDA UP AT ANY POINT WITH MY MAGIC. WE ARE JUST WAITING FOR UNDYNE TO COME BACK."

You can't help but smile at Papyrus. Flowey had came back from his scouting not long after Lucida was knocked out and he wasn't impressed.

He reacted just like you.

"You IDIOTS! If she is so important, they will notice she is missing and with them on high-alert for us and keeping an eye on Sans, it will be practically impossible to get to him now! Why didn't you just talk to her? Then knock her out if she was going to tell. She wouldn't, according to what you said she said. IDIOTS."

Good impression Chara.

Why thank you, thank you. I'm here all night.

You laugh at them bowing and get funny looks from everyone. You tell them you are trying to keep your spirits up so you are thinking of something funny. They shrug it off and return to meaningless chatter. You turn your gaze to Lucida. She is just lying there, unmoving. It is kinda unnerving and you pity her.

"Hey punks! Looks like I'm late. Is that a skeleton?"

Duh! We've been waiting for forever Undyne. This is Lucida. Apparently, she is in charge of Sans's health whilst he's here.

"Huh. So why's she unconscious?"

Papyrus and Mom decided it would be a good idea to knock her out, even after she admitted to wanting to help Sans and being important enough that it would be obvious she was missing.

"Seriously? That's kinda a stupid idea guys."

"That's what me and Frisk said!" Flowey screeched extremely quietly.

"Well we can't do anything about it now so can you wake Lucida up now Papyrus?" Mom says, as impatient as you and Flowey are now.

"OF COURSE LADY ASGORE."

Papyrus kneels in front of Lucida and holds his hand against her face. She glows orange and the magic seems to retract back into Papyrus. When she groans, Papyrus removes his hands and places them on his knees, waiting expectantly for Lucida to wake as you all crowd around her.

Her eyelids? flutter open and her eye lights are dazed momentarily. When they focus a bit more, she squeaks out a tiny squeal of fear or surprise and she backs away, crawling on her back, pushing away from everyone, only to collide with Asgore who flashes a slight smile that only freaks her out more. You should've thought of this, you think as you pinch the bridge of your nose. You tell everyone to back off and give her space. She turns to you and you smile. She relaxes a bit, when everyone backs off, and takes you all in, eyes lingering on each of you.

Makes sense. Probably never seen monsters or a human. Down here there are only skeletons after all.

"HELLO MISS. I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, AM DEEPLY SORRY FOR CAUSING YOU SO MUCH DISTRESS BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP."

Count on Papyrus to break awkward silences.

Heh. Lucida jumps at the slightly loud tone and looks at Papyrus in surprise.

"A Surface Skeleton? Aren't they extinct?"

Surface Skeleton? What's that? And extinct?

"I haven't heard that term in a long time. I guess it makes sense. You do tend to like separation," Asgore says, in a remorseful and slightly bitter tone, his eyes clouded over in memory slightly.

Mom rests her paw on Asgore's arm as Lucida decides to explain.

"Long ago, monsters and humans shunned the skeleton monsters. They were considered neither, yet both. Some wished to reach out to both races and procure peace for all, whilst the rest, they wanted complete separation. So they split up. The Surface Skeletons creates their home on the border of human and monster territory and reached out to both races. Monsters slowly accepted them but humans attacked them. Nearly killed them all. The remainders were taken in by the monsters and fought in the War. Those few left who were sealed Underground, suffered and died from lack of Sun. When they were treated, they could have no children and were thought to have died out. That is obviously not true," she points to Papyrus.

What about the other skeletons? Were they the Abyss Skeletons?

"Correct, human?"

Frisk.

"Ah, Frisk! Nice to meet you child. My name is Lucida."

Yeah, nice to meet you too Lucida! Sorry about your welcome.

"Oh do not worry! I understand fully. Sir Times New Roman mentioned the demon human that caused some trouble. Tried to make you sound bad. Apparently, he was the hero that saved Sans from the demon attacking him. Like I believe that."

Your fists clench and you say you would never hurt your family again. Not now everyone was safe and on the Surface. You will always protect them. You are DETERMINED to protect them.

"I am glad to see Sans made such great friends and that he has a true family. Better than that so-called 'Father' of his."

You ask why she hates Roman so much.

"That man is not fit to live on this planet. I'll never understand why Lady Verdana loved him. He isn't worth loving."

She was to good for this world. You look at Papyrus when you say that. Lucida nods. She looks towards the centre of the True Abyss. You all look that way and feel an overwhelming sense of sadness, fear and dread.

"I'll help you. I don't want to see Sans get hurt like that again. I owe him and I owe Lady Verdana. And, well, I won't leave a friend to a fate like that. Ever. You can get direct access through my lab and I can sneak you in through the drains. It is a simple plan but not easy."

"Why thank you," Mom smiles softly at Lucida who smiles back with a bit more confidence than before.

"YES THANK YOU MISS LUCIDIA FOR HELPING US FIND MY BROTHER!"

"Wait, BROTHER?!"

Another long explanation? Just great.