i fell in love with my best friend ; riarkle

a/n: hello! wow it took me long to finally write a new oneshot! 🤧 anyway, this really is one that I'm extremely proud of and it made me kinda tear up while I was writing it, and I hope u feel the same way too. this was super inspired by a YouTube video i watched, if you wanna know what it is just message me privately!!!!!

hope you like this 🤠

+++

All my life, I'd been through everything and anything with this one person I'd known forever. Since just five years old, we were already best friends before we even knew what that term meant. We loved each other so much, and would literally do anything for each other. We were so close we could even insult each other with the other still knowing the person didn't mean it at all, so close that we did every single thing together, so close that we went to the same schools together, so close that we were inseparable.
But it was only recently, when I found out. A deep, dark secret that I doubt I'd ever be ready to tell him...

+++

I picked up the old film that was sitting high up on my cupboard, dust already collected on it. I blew off the dust to see me and Farkle sitting on that treehouse we'd built many years ago in that picture. We were incredibly happy then, and that clearly showed in the bright grins on our faces in the picture. Unconsciously, I started smiling to myself, knowing this friendship we'd built up for years was one we'll keep for life.

Ping! Ping!

I immediately looked up from the picture to see that my phone which was by my bed, had lit up. I walked over, already knowing who the text would be from.

Farkle: hello, friendly reminder that we're meeting in 10 minutes at Topanga's so u can get ur shit back. pls don't be late or else!!!!!

Farkle: also, smackle's coming just sayin

I rolled my eyes as I replied him.

Riley: You know, the more you tell me not to be late, the more i feel like keeping you waiting! Brb ill be in the toilet for the next 3o mins xoxo

After sending that, I don't know why, but I somehow felt a tinge of... jealousy...? I reread the text Farkle had sent saying 'also, smackle's coming' . Was it because I wished Farkle would spend more time with me and that I wanted some alone time with my best friend? Or...

Right after that thought came his reply.

Farkle: ha ha not funny.

I put my phone down and went to my closet to find an outfit to wear.

Wait. Why am I even finding something to wear? I literally always meet Farkle just as I am, in my usual sweater and sweatpants.

I pulled a skirt I got from a thrift store out of the closet and looked at it. I put it against myself and looked myself in the mirror. "Ugh, who cares? I'm just gonna go like this."

I shoved the skirt back into my wardrobe, got my phone and wallet, and got on the way to Topanga's.

+++

Before I even entered the cafe, I could already hear Farkle and Smackle laughing, probably at some lame science joke one of those nerds made. Just thinking about that one time Farkle had told me an extra lame joke I never actually understood made me laugh. He probably prefers telling these jokes to someone who actually gets them more...