Headmaster

It was another day at Adonis Academy, and I was about ready to blow off on the old git.

"Everyone, open your books to page seventy-three. That's your worksheet for today," the bald man in a tweed suit droned as he swung his ruler side to side like a hypnotists pocket watch.

"Sir, we did page seventy-three for one of our past assignments." A girl in the front said. All the students around me had dozed off, drool staining the decades' old books. Elaine ranted to the teacher about how none of us would pass this calculus final for the semester if we didn't take the opportunity to review today. God only knew how many people needed it. The substitute smacked his ruler on the desk, and the slumbering pupils snapped to attention.

"Quiet, miss. That is what Professor Dubois left for today. If I were you, I would be grateful that I don't have to learn something new."

"Well, you're not Cynthia, who's an annoying piglet that doesn't know when to stop oinking. Isn't that right, Piglet?" I drawled, smirking at her burning face. The rest of us in the back sniggered whilst the pets in the front scowled, casting her pitiful looks.

"Enough, Miss Swain," he snapped, losing his bored appearance. Mr. Abacus sniffed, turning back to sit down and monitor.

"However, this one time I will agree with the piglet. We've already completed the worksheet. If the professor wants me to turn in the assignment, then I'll be glad to. But she'll be receiving a copy of the worksheet she already graded. Ergo, there isn't any point in redoing it. Like Elaine pointed out, it'd be more beneficial for us to review."

"Miss Swain, enough," he warned, a low growl in his ancient voice.

"Or we could all just make this easier for ourselves and just leave. Call it a day, maybe?"

"Enough! Headmasters office, now," he barked, pointing a crooked finger at the cathedral-esque doors.

Gathering my things in my bag, I sauntered up to him, handing him a copy of my previous work.

"A copy of my work, Mr. Abacus. Have a wonderful rest of your day." He snatched the paper out of my hand, grumbling.

"Until next time, swines." Striding out, I pushed open both doors, making my exit.

---

"Mr. Crown, it's the middle of the scholastic year."

"I know, it was unexpected for my parents to send me here. No worries, I have my transcript."

The muffled voices continued on the other side of the headmaster's door as I awaited my scolding. It was dusty in the waiting room, and I'd been sneezing for the past five minutes. I heard the door click, creaking open. There stood a lithe boy scruffing his hair as he gave said his goodbyes. His uniform was neat and starched, unlike the many scruffy male students who opted for loose neck ties and wrinkled jackets. He turned to face my direction as I stood. I swear, I thought my eyes popped out of their sockets when I caught a glimpse of his face.

Lucius.

My mouth went dry, and I was left there opening and closing my mouth like a fish on land as he brushed past.

"Ms. Swain. How lovely to see you again," Headmaster Addington beckoned me to sit, clicking the door closed. The room smelled faintly of cigars, the air around me seemingly foggy. The cushion sank down as I sat, and I was hit with a bit of nostalgia. The ancient cushioned chairs in my late great-granmother's manor always sank in when my five-year-old self would bounce on them. The Headmaster folded his hands, tight-lipped.

"Ms. Rosaline Swain, this is your third time this week in my office."

"Headmaster John Addington, it is your seventh time saying my first and last name in one sentence."

"You're not making this any better, Ms. Swain," he grumbled, wringing his hands. It was a typical gesture he did when he was stressed.

"I can't stand it at the Academy, sir. I shouldn't even be here. I'm intelligent enough that I could've skipped two years and still excelled."

"Ms. Swain, this is the best boarding school in England-"

"Well then, England needs to upgrade itself, doesn't it?" I snapped back, swinging my legs to hang over one of the arms of the chair.

"I have stellar scores in all my subjects."

"Grades won't matter in the real world if you have no social skills," he reasoned, opening his hands, clearly emphasizing how much of a bitch I was.

"Are you insinuating I make conversation with lowly tits in this hell?" Growling, I slammed a hand on the desk, scooting the chair back to draw myself to my full height.

"They're not tits, they're your classmates, and you must treat them as such. I don't want to see a star student such as yourself fail just because you refused to socialize," he snapped, standing up from his chair to meet my cold gaze.

"Is that boy from earlier to be one of my classmates?" I growled, crossing my arms. Lucius wasn't really here. That was merely a doppelganger. He wasn't coming back. Not here. Not to me.

"Mr. Crown is to be one of your classmates. I expect you to welcome him with a kind heart. In fact, seeing that he is new to the academy, I think it would be best for you to show him the grounds for next semester," he chirped, a jolly smile dancing on his withered lips as he adjusted his spectacles, sifting through a file cabinet. He pulled out a manila folder, holding it out to me. I snatched it, scowling. It contained his profile information, including where he would be staying.

"Wouldn't a male student be more suited? I'm not allowed inside the male dormitories."

"I will grant you this one time. It's very rare for me to do this, however... you're a special case. Now off you go. I have a meeting with a professor." He shooed me out the door, my bag flying into my open arms before the door slammed with a bang.

"If it isn't my little Rose Thorn." A honeyed voice echoed from behind me. I whipped around, disdain evident.

"Lucius."

He leaned against the wall, winking cheekily.

"Hello, Rosaline. Miss me?"