Chapter 14

The next thing Krista knew she was gently being lowered down onto the sandy ground, Imhotep's arms firmly wrapped around her to keep her steady.

As soon as her feet touched the ground, he released her and walked away looking up at the sky while Krista looked around, trying to figure out where they were.

"Oh my God." She breathed sadly.

"We're back." Evy finished as she came to stand beside her little sister.

Suddenly the two girls' gazes darted up to the sky at the sound of an engine. Then they saw it, a small airplane flying through the sky.

Krista grinned brightly, "Rick." She sighed happily and Evy reached out and squeezed her hand tightly.

Their happiness was short lived as they began to hear a rumbling noise, and the girls watched as Imhotep created a wall of sand and directed it towards the plane. He let out a roar and the sand wall consumed the plane.

"No!" Krista screamed as she ran towards Imhotep, "You'll kill them!"

Beni reached out to try and stop her from approaching the mummy, but Evy shoved him away from her baby sister.

Once Krista made it to Imhotep's side she saw that his eyes were closed in deep concentration. She needed to find a way to distract him, but how?"

Then she had an idea, it was a terrible idea, but it was all she could come up with in such short notice. Krista hesitantly reached out, grabbed Imhotep's face and pulled it down to her level, immediately placing her lips over his.

Imhotep's eyes shot open in shock, before slowly lowering again in the euphoric feel of his wife's lips on his again after so long; and with that came the loss of his concentration. The sand wall collapsed.

As soon as the plane was out of immediate danger Krista pulled away and grinned triumphantly, but it soon turned into a frown when she heard the plan's engine sputtering and the plan started smoking. It didn't take long for the plan to nosedive to the ground and crash.

"No." Krista choked out in a silent sob, while Imhotep simply grinned maliciously and pulled Krista's body closer to his as he turned and began leading her away towards Hamunaptra with Beni dragging Evy behind them.

They made it inside with Krista silently crying the whole time and Imhotep began leading them further into the city.

"Keep Moving." She heard Beni say from behind them.

"You know," Evy started, "Nasty little fellows such as yourself always get their comeuppance." She informed him snidely.

And Beni laughed for a moment before asking, "They do?"

"Oh yes." She assured him and Krista couldn't help but chuckle at the frightened sound of the man's voice.

They had followed Imhotep into the preparation room and Krista was slowly losing hope that they would be saved, she feared that her husband was dead and he wouldn't be coming for her.

Suddenly they heard a gunshot echo through the city and Imhotep scowls at the sound. 

"Rick." Krista breathed out happily knowing her husband was alive and coming for her after all.

Imhotep angrily reached into a canopic Jar and pulled out the crusted remains of Anck-su-namun's heart. He crushed it to dust and began reading from The Book of the Dead. Then he blew the dust against a mausoleum wall, and the wall started to come to life. The other three occupants in the room watched the wall wide-eyed as creatures started emerging. Horrific looking mummified corpses, Imhotep's long dead Priests.