Ch 16

There was nothing in the file that told me why Phoenix put the group together. It seemed like a great idea, but I didn't know why Phoenix didn't just break away from Cornwall and start his own cooperation. That way he wouldn't have a partner that disagreed with him.

I finished that file, closed it and went onto the next.

In this one Alex was the leader and Landon was co-second in command with his brother, Val. It wasn't anyone's fault. I understood that very quickly. Everyone was in the same spot, they all knew that it was dangerous, and they all had the same chance of survival.

Right when they were caught in the gunfire, surrounded by the enemy in the windows and roofs of buildings, Tristan slipped inside and ran upstairs to be a sniper.

~~~~~~~~~~~years ago~~~~~~~~~

I got to the roof, taking out two guys on the way. Considering the number of shots fired my estimate of the enemy is several dozen. Immediately I notice Brick dragging Caleb inside a building. Jesse is down too. Val is sniping on the roof opposite me but also shouting commands and he is seen by our enemy very quickly. As Landon covers for Jason to get Jesse, they are both shot. Jason's shot is in the arm and he drops his gun to help get Jesse in, but Jesse is shot once more. I know he's gone and so does Jason but he keeps pulling.

We've got about half of the guys when I see Val struggling on the other side. I can't help out by sniping because he and this other guy are in hand to hand combat. Now he and Landon aren't giving orders.

Alex finally has everyone in a building, but we're all scattered. I'm spotted and have to move. Running down stairs I run into a short man and I kick his gun away. He puts his hands up.

"Lets make this an even fight." He says desperate for a chance. I can't afford the time, I have to help the guys. But then he says. "You put down the gun but you can use a knife."

Now he's made me mad. I put down my gun, take my favorite knife, and toss it a millimeter from his foot. "You use it, and now it'll be even."

He takes the knife. This isn't the first time I've done this. I'd rather get stabbed by my own knife anyway, and I do. Once in the shoulder and one between my bottom left ribs. That one hurts, but I've won pretty quickly. I risked the pain in my haste to get back to my team.

When I'm finally back down to the ground floor I see that Alex has gathered a few guys in the building next to me. There are still dozens of guys around so I make a break for the other building, smashing threw a window out of my small building and breaking down the door of Alex's. Six guns are trained on me when I enter, then I see looks of relief.

"Tristan." Alex says and grabs my arm. "We don't know where Val, Derek, or Seth are."

"Val's on the roof east of here, he was in hand to hand combat last I saw. Seth took cover to the north. Haven't seen Derek."

"We've got two down and four wounded." Landon says from his position on the floor. I look around Jesse's body lays next to Landon. He was a funny kid, I liked him. The other one down is Keegan. He lays next to Jesse. I didn't know him well, he was quiet and didn't join the group when we all tried to hang out together.

Landon has a shot to his right leg, his good one. Drew is wrapping up Alex's arm and the blood is seeping through quickly. Drew also has a bullet whole in his shoulder, but it looks like they took it out, and Alex's arm was bleeding out faster.

I get a bandage from one of my many pockets and I slap it over Drew's shoulder, sealing is with tape. "Where's your fourth wounded?" I ask noting that Aaron is unharmed.

"Jason's up there sniping." Alex points upward.

"What's the plan?" I ask, needing direction.

"Help Jason, we need some cover when we go get the other guys and bring them back here."