1.

I placed the grocery bag onto my kitchen table with a sigh. Just another normal day in Midgard. I sat down on one of the stools next to my counter. The universe must be against me, for just as I slumped into the seat, my phone began to ring. I sighed and after a moment of letting it ring, decided to pick up the call. 

"Hello?"

"Y/n we need you to come in," urged the voice of Nick Fury. 

"Why what's wrong?" I asked, jumping up immediately as soon as the familiar voice reached my ears. 

"The Tesseract has been acting up, we need you to help Agent Barton keep a close eye on it,"

"I'll be there in 5." I replied and hung up. Well shit. There goes the rest of your day. Now I need to find a way to the New York SHIELD HQ. 

One manic drive later and I finally stepped through the front door to the Shield base. I walked up the stairs, drawing much attention because of my unconventional clothing choices. I approached the front desk and faced the blonde glossy eyed woman sat behind it. She appraised me with a smile but a sharpness entered her gaze. Suspicious definitely. Well, if I were her I would be suspicious of me too. I simply slid the glossy SHIELD issue card over the counter to her with a small smile. 

"The Big Man asked to see me." She simply scans my card, double checks it, then hands it back, 

"Have a lovely day Ms. L/n." I smiled at her again and took back the card before heading through the doors behind her, down into the belly of the beast. 

The elevator ride did not take as long as I thought it would but that doesn't matter. I stepped down the black metal stairs leading to the underground laboratory containing the glowing Tesseract, barely containing the energy bursts spitting out spitefully from within. 

I waltzed over to the doctor, "What's our situation?"

"The Tesseract has been misbehaving, and emitting low energy levels. Can you try and contain it?"

"I can try, but you know it won't last." I put my hands in front of me and cupped them together. A purple bubble flickered to life around the Tesseract, successfully containing the excess energy. Energy stretched towards the bubble, attaching to it, making it look like a plasma ball. I could feel it slowly sapping my strength. I knew it was not going to hold it in for long, so I focused completely on the force field. 

It felt like hours to me, but it was probably only one before my bubble faltered. It felt like... Like something else was pushing forward. Fighting against my power through the blue cube, reaching towards me with an unseen hand. The feeling grew within me as the minutes passed by. They are not ready yet, I told myself, holding strong. But in an instant, the invisible force pushed forward like a dagger to my mind. My bubble popped.  

I collapsed onto the ground as a beam of energy erupted from the Tesseract, creating a swirling portal of pure unbridled energy. If I was not fighting the urge to pass out I would be amazed at the beauty and power of it. But the portal is not all that was created with the surge.  An explosion of excess energy gathered at the ceiling, menacingly dangerous. My mind was fuzzy and I couldn't comprehend what everyone was saying, their voices barely filtering through. A face bent over me as my vision cleared. I gasped in recognition,

"...Loki?"