Just as Deadly -2

Cyborgs don't need sleep. Especially those that don't actually die. Every fifty years I get a new father and a new heart. Each heart darker than the last. I was a well-kept government secret in the twenty-first century. Now, in the twenty-fourth, I'm the scum beneath the royal's satin and moon dust slippers. I've watched empires rise and fall. I've seen dictators rule and terrorist kill. I've been the silent assassin for /presidents past. No one has ever seen me outside of my fathers. He changed all that.

He took my heart strings and wires and twisted them into unrecognizable knots unfit for girl-assassins. I gave him the one thing I gave no one. Trust.

I glared at the wooden door and listened to the feet scraping outside the door and watched the shadows come and go from beneath it. Who knew five letters could lead to downfall? Who knew five letters would make my black eyes infect my heart? Who would have thought, that the boy that I was planning to help escape his mother, would be the one who I was currently planning to kill? Trust.

I stood back up and walked to the window. Two sunrises, I thought. I went back to my corner and thought of all the ways I could ruin the crown. The faster the crown falls, the faster he falls.

He was holding me, his flesh pressed close to my ever-beating heart. We were in the Palace garden, by the rose bushes and apple trees. He whispered sweet nothings, called me bella and rocked back and forth with my boots on top of his toes. Dancing.

"Someday," he whispered in my ear, "Someday we'll rule the world. Someday we'll escape my mother. Someday I'll hold you close while we stand by the thrones and shout out my devotion to you for the entire kingdom-no-world to hear. Someday I'll tell the world that you are mine and I am yours. Someday, we'll take down my mother." He tilted my chin up and lowered his blushing lips onto mine.

I sighed and gave him a piece of my ever-beating heart. My red, red heart. 

~ ~

Vote

Fan

Comment