𝖎. Veiled Temptation

CHAPTER ONE. hyperspace

     The starship's cockpit was bathed in the soft glow of dimmed lights, and the hum of the hyperdrive provided a soothing backdrop to Obi-Wan Kenobi's thoughts

     The starship's cockpit was bathed in the soft glow of dimmed lights, and the hum of the hyperdrive provided a soothing backdrop to Obi-Wan Kenobi's thoughts. He sat in the pilot's seat, his hands resting lightly on the controls, guiding the vessel through the vast labyrinth of hyperspace. It was a journey that seemed to stretch on forever, a voyage through the infinite reaches of the galaxy.

     As the starship glided through the luminescent tunnels of hyperspace, Obi-Wan's mind was a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. He was uneasy, not solely because he was at the helm, a role he had seldom assumed, yet as he was embarking on his first Jedi mission alone. His master, Qui-Gon Jinn, was no longer by his side, his wisdom and guidance a ghost of a memory which haunted Obi-Wan's thoughts, a silent phantom.

     The weight of Qui-Gon's absence pressed upon him, a mournful ache that he could not shake. He felt the burning need to impress his late master, to carry out the mission with the same wisdom and determination that Qui-Gon had possessed. It was a daunting prospect, and a sense of loneliness settled upon him.

     In his reverie, his thoughts drifted back to their final mission together, a perilous journey that had brought them face to face with the Sith and had cost Qui-Gon his life. The memory was a bittersweet reminder of a Jedi's duty and the painful sacrifices it demanded. His master's absence was a void that could never be filled, and Obi-Wan was acutely aware of the legacy he had inherited.

     In the dimness of the cockpit, he closed his eyes temporarily, allowing the memories to wash over him. He remembered Qui-Gon's words, his unwavering belief in the living Force, and his commitment to the Jedi Code. Obi-Wan had pledged to carry on his master's teachings, to honour his memory in every action he took.

     The ship continued its journey through the ethereal dreamland of hyperspace, and Obi-Wan's thoughts gradually turned to the mission at hand. The council had entrusted him with a task of great importance, one that would test not only his skills as a Jedi but the very core of his resolve. He knew that he could not afford to fail, that the council's trust in him was a reflection of Qui-Gon's faith in his abilities.

     As he cast his eyes upon the boundless expanse of space, his thoughts gravitated towards the enigma he was to unravel - Lyra Aliré. A courtesan, a siren rumoured to wield the dark side of the Force to captivate those ensnared within her charms. A danger deemed deserving of the council's vigilant investigation, with Obi-Wan's mission vivid and unequivocal: assess the threat she posed to the sanctity of the Jedi Order and the safety of the Republic.

     Suddenly, breaking the phantom-like silence of the cockpit, a soft chime indicated an incoming transmission. Obi-Wan's senses sharpened, and he activated the communication console. A holographic projection of the High Council Chamber materialised before him in glittering sapphire, and the stern visage of Master Windu appeared.